A Look into PSU sanctions

Discussion in 'Sports' started by InVolNerable, Jul 23, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bring me Silas Redd, Khari Fortt and their kicker.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The vacation of losses drops Penn State from the 7th winningest program of all-time....to 17th...a few wins above Auburn.

The 'AA has done all that they could do to destroy the Penn State program - as in, "scorched earth" kind of stuff. And while unprecedented, I applaud it. If you have a rule book that covers the size of logos on a uniform, travel from the airport to campus and the like - but can't get it right when it comes to the covering up of a child rapist....what good is it, really?

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This will be downright dangerous for the players if Penn State remains in the Big Ten with roughly 20 2-star scholarship players and 65 walk-ons filling the roster. That's what it will look like in 4 years if I understand all this correctly.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Jg

I put a list in the thread in the football forum. Feel free to add to it.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I despise the way the NCAA works, but this is true.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Sorry, I misunderstood the initial scholarship reductions. It looks like they'll lose 20 total, bringing it to 65 scholarship players. Still. Yikes.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If they have a mass exodus of players, the bowl ban may be self-fulfilling.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Ok. Nevermind. Here is what it says:

"Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period." What does initial mean? Starting right now?

9. CardinalVol

I read 75 for this season and then 65 for the following 4.

10. CardinalVol

Wait. That could be 15 schollys each year with a max of 65 players.

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

So ten guys, starting right now, don't have scholarships at Penn State that thought they did with classes to begin in less than a month?

But the Penn State coaches will need to figure out who is leaving before they ask guys for their scholarships back, right? Gosh, these next few weeks will be wild.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yearly scholarships allowed is 15 instead of 25.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Madison - The Big Ten has handed out additonal penalties to Penn State in the wake of NCAA penalties announced earlier Monday.

The most signifcant development is that Penn State will not receive its share of the Big Ten bowl revenue from 2012-'16 (about $13 million).

Big 10 hands out additional penalties to Penn State - JSOnline

14. CardinalVol

In a round about way, given how much football funds other athletics at the school, the NCAA has essentially killed the entire Penn State athletic department.

I can't fathom they are still going to have 60M+ in revenues over the course of the next four years.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Maybe over the next 4 years combined. Especially considering they don't get bowl shared revenue for the next 4 years either.

16. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I'm probably in the minority here, but I find this ridiculous. The fines are ok and the money for next season being taken away, but the bowl bans, scholarship bans and vacating of wins only screws the fans, players (from 1998 through now) and the current coaching staff, all of whom are innocent of this mess. It's good that the players can transfer or stay for their degree on scholarship, but it's not the same. Once again all the NCAA does is screw with the players. This isn't going to do anything for the victims.

17. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I also don't trust the NCAA handling the money. I'll be surprised if half the money actually winds up being donated to child abuse centers. I really hate the NCAA.

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Rules governing permission-to-contact players on the Penn State program have also been lifted by the NCAA, putting every player on the roster up for grabs.

19. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

absolutely destroyed it. All the NCAA has done is ruin the lives for more people.

20. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

^ You mean ruin lives like it did for the little boys taking a dong up the poop shoot for all those years?