A Question of Race: Rachel Dolezal

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I stumbled across this video, earlier today. Skip to the 8 minute mark, for the pertinent portion.

[YOUTUBE]oKRj_h7vmMM[/YOUTUBE]

Having no idea as to what the backstory was, I turned to my trusty magic box of knowledge for some answers.

The Gist:
    And this:
    The controversy:
    Here is the Facebook pic in question:
    [​IMG]

Here's another pic of her, from younger days to current, for the purposes of comparison:
    [​IMG]

The Aftermath:
    Apparently, this story inspired a vigorous debate on "The Twitter":
    First, kudos to the NAACP for their statement of strong support, not only for Mrs. Dolezal, but for the irrelevance of racial identity in serving or leading their organization. *Yes, there are a great many excellent questions to ask, in light of this, but I'll leave those to you guys, as it is not my point in posting this.

Secondly, the video shows what is blatant "gotcha" journalism, at its best, and is a shining example of all that is wrong in the journalistic world, today. It's rubbish, no matter who does it, when, against whom or why. Silliness breeds silliness.

As to Mrs. Dolezal, if she faked documents, then clearly there was some deception on her part in regards to her race, for whatever reason, good or bad, however seriously you take it. But that will all be worked out in time, I guess.

My Questions:
    1. If her race doesn't matter to anyone at the NAACP, should it be allowed to matter to those whom they claim to represent?

2. If those whom they represent and count as members that don't wish to have a white person in a leadership position - does that mean that they are racist? And if so, which race is the racism being directed toward, the one she was born with, and has no control over, or the one which she has seemingly preferred, and simply adopted? Does it make the NAACP racist to keep her? What about if they were to terminate her (although, to be clear, I've not read anything which even seems to suggest that they've even considered letting her go)?

3. Is Lizzo's tweet ("Black folk cant decide to be white when the cops raid their pool party. But a white woman can be NAACP president,") racist?

4. If Mrs. Dolezal simply "feels" black and/or wishes to live her life as such, should she be informally allowed to do so (e.g. by simply respecting her wishes)? What about legally - as in change it on her birth certificate? Can she change her race to whatever she desires?

5. If she can change her race, and such should be legally permissible and recognized - would she then be rightfully and also legally entitled to any race-based advantages of her new race (i.e. scholarships, affirmative action quotas, etc.), as she will likely suffer any automatic or societal disadvantages, just the same?

6. What if she later wishes to be Asian? Can she switch? What if she wants to go back to being caucasian? Are they interchangeable? What if she feels like she really is all three races, at any point in time - caucasian, black or asian? Could they be both universally recognized, but also wholly interchangeable, on an on-going basis?

7. What if some believed that having "No Race" was most advantageous. Could they select that, and be legally identified as such? Does that make them racists toward all other races?

8. What if a black person wants to change their race to white, because they believe that it is distinctively better or more advantageous, does that make them racist? Does that choice make them white supremacists?

9. If a black person were capable of legally becoming a white person, would you then rescind and forego any race-based advantages which their previous (black) race afforded, were currently enjoyed, or which they may later seek to recoup or earn?

10. If people can change races, what's the litmus test you employ to make an honest determination of their true desire to switch? Because they want to? Because they don't feel like they belong to their birth race? Because they'd be more comfortable as another race (Yes, it's going there....but I'm not guiding it, and these are legitimate questions....draw your own comparisons, but they are completely unintended, I assure you).

So, have it. Educate me.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/12/us/washington-spokane-naacp-rachel-dolezal-identity/

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If someone self identifies as something, you can't judge.

and if you think her race doesn't matter to the NAACP you are high. I bet you $50 she'll be fired within the week.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm still not sure of the entire story, but my favorite comment I've seen in twitter is that watching the same people say Catlin Jenner is a woman argue this woman isn't black is rather fun.

Just want to see how this plays out.

Also wonder if the melugeon society allows well, non mutts, at tb their conventions.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Seems like a liar type person more than any other classification, racial or otherwise. I would have a hard time respecting her leadership.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

interesting part will be to see if she lied to get affirmative action support at college and such. there's another picture of this chick floating around of her at like 16 and she's as white as any women on earth. looks like she was curling her hair too.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I hate group think. Give power to individuals evenly and stop all of this protected class stuff.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

"Are you an african-american?"
    "I don't understand the question"

Buuuusted.

8. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I agree

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Sounds like MA senate material.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[​IMG]

11. Tenacious D

[​IMG]

12. Tenacious D

Soooooo racist.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The best part of this story is yet to come. She's had several "attacks" and been the victim of racially-charged "vandalism" over the past 8 years. Police are now investigating her, as they never could figure out who was doing things to her and suddenly they're wondering if it was her all along.

And I know this group of people here. We all suspect it was her all along.

14. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

She does seem like the #1 prime candidate to do such a thing. I can't imagine how crazy this [itch bay] really is.

15. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Past time to go ahead and institute the draft.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So if men can be women and white people can be black, can I, a poor man be rich? Does it work like that?

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hate crimes are total bullshit any ways. I wish she was just trolling the system to point out how ridiculous it is, but sadly I don't think that's true.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Poor people self-identifying with the wealthy are called Republicans. It is indeed an accepted lifestyle choice.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I've always found this funny. I've also heard it explained as voting against their own self interest. I guess since they just don't get in line and buy wealth distribution and might have some belief in self reliance that puts them out with the Uncle Tom group if a black person doesn't fall into line as well.

Now I don't think the republican party really represents self reliance and individualism, but can see how one is at least fooled by their rhetoric.