A Question of Race: Rachel Dolezal

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jun 12, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If they would not be willing to even consider a man simply because of his gender, how would it not be?

If NAACP says they want her out of power because she is basically a pathological liar, then ok, I'm fine with that. But if it's solely because she's white, then I have a hard time seeing how that doesn't fall under some type of discrimination.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Uh, that's not even close to what I said. I said more likely. When has a person ever been kicked out of NOW for beng a man or NAACP for being white? However, it shouldn't be surprising that an advocacy group is represented, typically, by a member of that group. If there were some group advocating for the rights of Christians being persecuted in Saudi Arabia, would you expect that group to be headed by a Christian, Muslim, Jew or Buddhist?

4. Unimane

Yep, a women's group is most likely to be headed by a woman. Shocking discriminatory thought here.

5. CardinalVol

I honestly have no idea if anyone has or hasn't.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

arguing it's understandable is one thing. arguing it's not sexist/racist is just silly. it's the very definition of sexism/racism. you are favoring one person over another solely based on their race or sex.

7. Unimane

No, it's not. These are organization that are laregly made up of the people whom they advocate for. It shouldn't be a surprise that a women's group which is likely composed of 95% women will probably have a woman at it's head.

You always seem to have a very quick trigger on supposed sexism and racism claims when is comes to your personal perspective.

8. Unimane

Me neither, although I would guess that a Christian advocacy group is probably headed by a Christian. I guess the question would be if they didn't want a non-Christian to lead the group, would that be discriminatory?

9. CardinalVol

Christian groups have come under fire before for not wanting to employ non-Christians or people who don't adhere to the group's stances.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Personal perspective? What perspective does favoring one applicant over another solely based on race mean anything but racism?

11. CardinalVol

For the record, I don't care. If a person/group/company/group-of-kids-in-a-treehouse want to descriminate against anyone for any reason at all, I say have at it. If a person wants to refuse me service because I am a white Christian male, do it. I'll just go elsewhere.

But if we're going to say racism/sexisms/descrimination based on sexual/religous/any-other-kind-of orientation is bad, then let's draw a line and leave it there and hold all groups accountable to it.

12. Unimane

Maybe a couple of times, there have been a few extreme examples of bounds being overstepped, like the one I remember from Cal State earlier this year. However, there are tons of Christian groups that require Christian beliefs as a prerequisite for admission, participation and leadership. I don't think that's unreasonable. However, you aren't required to be black to be in the NAACP, female to be in NOW or gay to be in GLAAD, but I would feel that a person of that group would be likely to lead those groups, even if it isn't a requirement of the organization.

13. Unimane

I'm saying he's quick on the trigger to proclaim racism against whites, in particular, and very, very reluctant to do the opposite. In fact, I can't remember him ever doing so and we've had this discussion a number of times. For as much shit I get about proclaiming racism against non-white people, in reality, I've done it pretty seldomly, unlike the reverse for him.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm sure your memory is perfect in this regard

15. punkcat

punkcat Member

She's the same amount of black that Bruce Jenner is a woman. She's a little less black than the President who's not black at all.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agree with you there.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Some public schools in the South are more likely to be filled with white kids. Is that natural result, ok?

Why would it matter what gender lead NOW, or race lead the NAACP?

Why would it be more likely that a woman would lead NOW, and a black person would lead the NAACP? Are you suggesting that these groups would have some predilection for women or black people, as leaders?

If only there were some quick and handy terms for when those things occur.

18. Tenacious D

You're confused.

See, when the vigilante George Zimmerman killed Treyvon Martin, he was a "white Hispanic" (dad was Caucasian, mom was Hispanic).

When Barack Obama was elected (white mother, black father) - he's America's first black president.

Just ask anyone. See, it works because, well that's how some like it to work.

19. Tenacious D

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's someone asking entirely valid questions of liberals.

Some massively misplaced obfuscation in 3.....2......

20. Tenacious D

Is Augusta National Club racist? Sexist?

I hope not, because your post near perfectly restates their decades-long arguments to exclude blacks and women at all, or anything above a token few.

Next you're going to tell us that the Klan is just misunderstood.