An explanation for religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 10, 2013.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The pope thanks Attila for giving his office absolute power.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yep. I always have to laugh at those who try and draw parallels with the demise of the Roman Empire and the supposed demise of America happening because of some brazen immorality occuring in Rome. Rome was firmly a Christian empire when it fell in the West and the Eastern part, also Christian, lasted for another 1000 years. It also took a VERY long time for Christianity to become enmeshed in all of Western Europe. Again, I still firmly believe that, without Paul, Constantine and Charlemagne, Christianity becomes something similar to Zorastrianism.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Zoroastrianism at least let you get blitzed.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

You missed my point.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

One could ask how such an obscure sect became the religious focus of the most powerful government ever created. Odd that it worked out that way.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I find it remarkable that it survived in the early centuries when many similar messiah cults failed. Most of those cults were very short sighted, though, and fell apart when they couldn't deliver on their earthly promises. The Bar Kokhba revolt a great example of a messianic Jew who was unable to deliver on his promises of booting the Romans out after some early victories. However, I'm not particularly surprised that it ended up succeeding due to a coalescence of reasons such as having a message of equality that resonated with the poor and slaves of Rome, key and influential charismatic leaders (especially Paul and Constantine), political usefulness and its penchant for appropriating pagan festivals, symbolism and beliefs to attract converts. It also wasn't particularly unique for a Roman emperor to adopt a personal cult for himself. The road towards Christian hegemony, however, is an exceptionally interesting topic and one that was much more varied and dynamic than I had originally thought once I started looking into it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Truly frightening, if you are implying what I think you are.

8. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The we are in the tribulation crowd have been warning us

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Out of all the millions of sperm, it is a miracle that that one sperm that would make my son who he is made it into the egg. A miracle I tell you!

10. NorrisAlan

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

They have 3 kids.

Step 1) Prove that they have used birth control in their lives while practicing their "faith"
    Step 2) Charge them with fraud

Lying is a sin. They are liars.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I still don't get how providing the health care is against faith.

I get that actually TAKING the contraceptive could be considered a violation... but I don't get how simply providing the ability to get it is a violation.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Also explain how a birth control pill is used for far more things than birth control. The overwhelming majority of women on the pill aren't on it because they're trying to avoid popping out babies.

15. NorrisAlan

And if they rule in favor of Hobby Lobby, I wager every CEO is suddenly going to find himself becoming a Christian Scientist.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Are you saying employers' authority extends to personal lives outside of work? And here I thought slavery was abolished.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

?? I'm agreeing with you. Most ignorant Christians seems to think that any woman who is taking birth control is only taking it so she can lie on her back all day. The fail or refuse to realize that there are a host of medical reasons and bennefits to taking the pill that are in no way related to "killing babies before they might exist".

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying even if there weren't, I would still be against one person dictating the personal decisions of another.

19. kidbourbon

It's quite astounding the number of people who don't understand the difference between the two.

20. kidbourbon

This isn't true. The vast vast majority of females on birth control are doing so to avoid popping out babies. I've met nary a single female who like being on BC -- messes with their hormones, is the common refrain -- and the only reason they will be on BC is because they like some raw D balls deep in 'em but aren't ready for critters.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014