An explanation for religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 10, 2013.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I've personally never met a girl taking it for babies. They were taking it because the hormone manipulation helped a medical issue, or because it gave them less painful periods.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Regardless of your thoughts on religion, that process is amazing.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Absolutely, like a lot of things in this wonderful and beautiful and awe-inspiring universe.

I guess, though, it was my attempt to explain why Christianity survived and all the other cults around a messiah did not. One of them most likely had to, just like one sperm has to finally meet the egg given enough time. Some hard work, some dumb luck and just a shot gun effect.

This in no way diminishes Christ's message, by any means. But there was nothing supernatural about it surviving, imho. It had a leg up because of his message (compassion and love, even to your enemies) and had the serendipity of having Paul fall under its spell and finally Constantine.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There's a much simpler answer.

5. NorrisAlan

Simple isn't always plausible or most logical. "God did it" for Christianity can be equated to "Aliens did it" when talking about the pyramids. And then how can you explain why Islam became so popular coming out of the middle of a desert. Or how Hinduism survives? Or the Buddha's message survived and thrived, replacing Hinduism in many areas? Or any other mainstream religion?

Did God do all of that, too? Nah, just dumb luck, good message and/or a lot of hard work on its followers.

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

There are simple answers for all of that as well.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The hot [itch bay]es?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

You don't like the simple answer. Hint: an all-powerful super secret being is not simple.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

As simple as random chance.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

With enough chance, virtual inevitability creeps in. Monkeys and type writers.

Seriously, how is an omnipotent being not the most complicated thing imaginable? What can you point to as evidence or such a thing being possible?

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Roll a die 1000 times and write down the result of each roll. Then figure out the probability that someone would roll that exact set of numbers in that order. The odds that you would come to that exact outcome is astronomical, yet what you did was in no way, shape, or form special, divine, or mystical.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Most anything.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Tell me how it works when you conduct the same experiment without the person to roll the die.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay. So what would something that didn't indicate an omnipotent being look like? Tell me what such a universe/world might look like. If everything is a product of design, what does something not designed look like?

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's outside my capability. I'm made in the image of, but I'm not equal to.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

It looks like rocks weathering, beaches moving and rearranging, continents moving, chemical compounds forming, Cuonzo Martin basketball seasons, etc.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

If that is outside your capability, how can you know that recognizing design is inside your ability? You have nothing to compare it to.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm still up in the air on where this run in the tourney falls in the argument on whether God exists. I'm just going to rely on hindsight for that one.

19. NorrisAlan

If they make it to the final four, I might have to reassess.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Originally, folks here were hoping he'd be gone. I joked that I could cite a random lucky Sweet 16 run as evidence for no god. If they go further, I think it is a wash.