An explanation for religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jun 10, 2013.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

2. kidbourbon

I don't see it being an issue either.

3. kidbourbon

That's my biggest beef with atheists. They're seemingly always on the prowl for a time to drop the "checkmate". Why atheism doesn't come served with two helpings of apathy is beyond me. I feel like it should be. It clearly isn't.

4. kidbourbon

And I've never lost at gambling. Er...I mean, I could never lose at gambling.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

"god of the gaps." There, saved them some time.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

8. NorrisAlan

And the whole argument seems rather strawman in its attempt. I don't know of any reputable person who says science has disproved the existence of God. There is just no evidence of divine interaction at any point in the Universe. And it also seems to smack of "don't investigate, it is not necessary, we have the answer already" at the end of the article.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is also a naked attempt at trying to show that there is room for a god, but ignores the real issue raised by science: the Christian god and every other specific god described by humans is associated with false claims as to the nature of Earth, life, the universe, and its origins.

There will always be a way to shoehorn in "god" into the frontier of knowledge, but that space is a moving target which only further undermines the notion, as what the entity is specifically credited for changes again, and again, and again...

10. NorrisAlan

I have struggled for a few months as to whether or not I should share this, but I have decided to do so. It is an award winning documentary by PBS on the Buddha, and is a great history of the story of Siddhartha, who would become the Buddha.

This is not an evangelical attempt to convert, but simply something I wanted to share. It is almost two hours long, so bring your popcorn!

[video=youtube;uJWPFYygGPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJWPFYygGPc[/video]

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

2 ****ing hours?

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Too long; didn't watch.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I zoned out after the part about a woman giving birth through her side.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

What else have you got to do for a month?

15. NorrisAlan

It's a documentary, not a 5 minute sound bite. How long is the Passion of Christ? 3 hours? And it just covers Jesus' last days!

And of course the life of the Buddha is filled with pure myth. I can tell you that he was not born from the side of his mother, he didn't turn arrows into flowers, he didn't walk on rainbows, etc, etc. We could try to apologize for it, saying "AH! First caesarian birth!" but that would be a bunch of hogwash and useless. I am sure he was born just like every other baby ever born.

Nothing was written about him until almost 400 years after he died. Up until then, it was all passed down by orally, and as everyone familiar with the ancient world knows, anyone worth their salt had an immaculate birth, performed miracles, etc. It is easier to remember than simple facts when you embelish it with a bunch of colorful stories.

And he may not have even existed, just like any other figure from ancient history. But that isn't important, in the end analysis.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If it's religious or even about a religious figure, I start craving fried chicken at the 20-minute mark after the music is done. I've not seen Passion of the Christ either.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

One of the churches that I pastored, built a new fellowship hall. The old one looked like my first fort. Anyway, the first dinner we had there there was absolutely NO fried chicken. I questioned them being actual Baptist.

18. NorrisAlan

Isn't this against some bylaw somewhere?

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Not officially, but I'm working on it!

20. NorrisAlan

[video=youtube;5X4HYA-lB-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X4HYA-lB-U[/video]

Dude named Siddhartha is born. Lives 29 years in daddy's palace living a life of sensual pleasure. Sees suffering when he leaves palace, gets confused. Leaves Daddy. Becomes an ascetic for 6 years, learning all he can from gurus. Almost dead, still doesn't satisfy the suffering in him. Sits under tree, won't move till he has answer. Becomes enlightened, starts a religion. Wanders India for 45 years spreading the word, then dies.