Any explanations?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Oct 16, 2016.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Throw in that they're not well coached anyway, well, we get what we saw.

2. MWR

MWR Contributor

What we saw was Tennessee Football. Truly a middle of the road program. Get accustomed to it. Settle for a middle of the road football team, because that seems to be the reality the situation.

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That has been clear for a long time. Not sure whether it's poor coaching or whether he's just a slow (albeit good) thinker. Could be some of both

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Imagine if he had a qb coach

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Or he is simply told "hand off no matter what, don't worry, the system will take care of it."

I have no idea, but the games where he looks like he says "to hell with it" and goes off the reservation are the games he absolutely torches teams.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This is what gets me, going into year 4, your money year as a HFC:

Old buddy as OC (and if you dig, you see his Old Buddy helped him get a raise...perhaps...maybe)
    Interim S&C coach
    New DC (albeit a supposedly good one)
    STILL no QB coach on staff (And sorry, a GA acting as a QB coach doesn't count)
    Year 4 and depth is still a huge issue

Man. It isn't looking good around here.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

At one point I told someone that Bama should just decline to make us punt; our offense was losing yardage on every play and would eventually back ourselves up into our endzone.

8. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I think it really boils down to a lack of talent, development, and coaching at the Oline. I realize we had injuries Saturday, but we have struggled at the LOS for YEARS! Our backs, especially Hurd, get hit 2 yards deep and that happened against App St.

I hate our offense and it is telegraphed, but you knew what the Lombardi Packers were going to run and it worked. It's called execution. I am not saying that you SHOULD telegraph plays, just that the OL is the single biggest issue. It causes negative yardage and makes Dobbs look worse. We used to have a strong physical Oline and that can cover a lot of sins.

And the sad thing is Oline doesn't fix quickly. But, I sure would like to see Pittman back.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

Dobbs didn't have a prayer last week between game plan and line play. He might as well have been in a pit of starving lions.

10. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Bates looks worse than Jumper. I thought there was no possible way that could be true

11. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Doesn't help when you run every play out of the shotgun.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Butch, Debord, Azzani and Mahoney. All on the same staff, all "contributing" to the offense.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm certain of it. Our "zone read" is predetermined.

I'm not sure he reads coverages, eitehr, at least on some of the pass plays; I think it is called from the sideline where the ball is going to go.

14. cotton

Really, that was the intend of the post. I read the recaps in the Tennessean, which generally told me that UT was better as a program but still sucked compared to Bama, things I already knew. I didn't know if media elsewhere had covered coaches' thoughts better.

Has anybody seen an explanation from those guys, or Schoop, as to what they think went wrong, or has it just been more of

which sadly, isn't too far off of at least some reality?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The defense ran out of bodies and Kiffin had Shoop's number.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Our defense looked straight up Sunseri-esque.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not even mad about the offensive output because it clearly shows the problem is coaching.

We all know it, but it was shown on national tv for the world to see. Let there be blood for it

18. cotton

That seems a little rough on the defensive bodies that were actually out there and Shoop.

Must have demoralized the offense.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Hell, it was a 2-TD game in the 3rd quarter. It's not like it was 42-3 at half.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yay, moral victories.