Any explanations?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think Hurd is close to quitting on the staff from his body language. I'm curious to see how Butch keeps the players together if we drop one we shouldn't.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It goes to hell. Tennessee either goes 5-0 or 2-3

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Blind-assed guess, based on absolutely nothing. In fact, no one should even read this, as it is a post made of complete fiction, in its entirety, and with no basis in truth, in whole or in part, whatsoever:

1. Hurd is an incredibly high-maintenance prima donna. This is made increasingly worse by his family and those "others" around him, who not only like to [itch bay], but are quick and vocal in so doing, even at any perceived slight, however small, unintentional or completely imaginary.
    2. Kamara doesn't get more touches in order to placate Hurd and protect his fragile ego, and for several reasons. First, it prevents his penchant for sulking from poisoning the locker room. Second, it doesn't give his family & hangers-on anything (else) to [itch bay] about. Finally, it keeps Tennessee in the good stead of the high school programs in the burgeoning and increasingly important recruiting fields of the mid-state area.

Again, this is all a complete lie, with no basis in fact, and no one should even read this post. It is a complete work of fiction.

Additionally, do not ask for more or follow-up information, as that will also be a complete fabrication, too.

4. Tenacious D

This.

And Saturday, he confirmed what many have long-suspected - he isn't just tentative, but played flat-out scared.

If he can't throw (and he can't - I bet that there are at least two non-QB's on this team who are better passers than Dobbs), he cannot properly read the defense (pre-snap or live action), and can't / won't do any damage with his legs, then I will revert to my original comment: He has no business playing QB at this level.

Tennessee's offense will be better when Dobbs graduates, no matter which of the current QB's win the job. Argue against that.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Is Hurd going to go pro even though it's a heavy RB class and I don't see his stock being too high

6. Tenacious D

Because when Tennessee went down by 14, and any aspirations of winning that game went out the window, we packed it in and decided to play for 10-2 and a trip to Atlanta.

The only way that this season ends on a sour note is if we don't make it to Atlanta, and even then, Jones will still enjoy enormous support, and is likely looking at a raise + extension.

The worst of all scenarios has unfolded before us, and I can't even see the bottom, from here.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It will be a huge shock to a lot of people if Hurd is here next year

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel those vibes as well, tenny. I have zero information on anything to do with it. It's utter fiction, we just happen to both have read that particular negavol comic book.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If I have to sign a free-agent scout team contract, I would jet, if I were him. Running backs can only take so many hits.

10. Tenacious D

Careful that you don't mistake calling out reads (i.e. identifying Mike) or adjusting blocking scheme with "calling an audible", as that infers that he has overridden the call from the sideline, instead of just picking one of the two sent in to him to choose from.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I thought we all decided the plays weren't actual reads but designed/called handoffs

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I have a hard time saying Dobbs played scared. That guy has about tried to kill himself out there for 3.5 years

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

With the NFL mostly running zone now I don't think he's going to grade very high.

14. Tenacious D

I imagine that Hurd will defer to the wise and objective non-NFL analysts around him, and trust their learned advice that he's destined to be a Top 5 pick overall, and go.

I mean, someone has to pay all of these people, at some point.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

If he can call the blocking, he can see whether the DE or OLB is crashing in on the back. Yet, we are so terrible at making the right decision, whether to keep it or hand it, that I'm stuck with my original premise--the play is called from the sideline.

I don't suppose it really matters whether our coaches are micromanaging him or whether he's just terrible, but I haven't seen evidence that he's playing afraid. I see him as a dangerous guy with some limitations that our scheme and playcalling do nothing to optimize.

I'm also not convinced taht offense will be any better next year. You are going to have a guy with a better arm and worser wheels under center running the same ****ed up scheme.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't know NFL graders.

He's 6'4" and a lean 240#. He's fast enough to get to the outside, strong enough to run between the tackles, a good pass catcher, and a terrific blocker. He can play TB, H-back, or TE if you need. I'd want him, prima donna or not.

17. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I've never even heard any rumors of Hurd being a prima donna.

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Except he doesn't coach scared in bowls.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I agree but I'd say he's a late round pick. He could make a living as an h-back and short yardage runner

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't know if backs will be taken early any longer, anyway.