Any explanations?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Oct 16, 2016.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That's not the point

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

There won't be. And Butch will likely give us the thing we dreaded most, a 10-2 season.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's had a mass exodus of talent due to injuries. The linebackers have no depth after JRM and Kirkland. Berry wasn't bad, but he missed a few assignments that were turned into tds.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Apologies. What is the point, then?

5. JohnnyQuickkick

I don't dread a 10-2 season. We haven't done that in 10 years. I'll worry about next year next year.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The game was never in doubt once Alabama went up two scores. If the offense had gained positive yards, it may have been different

7. RockyHill

Yeah I'm not gonna dog it too hard, it's an impossible situation. But it was alarming how out of sync we were.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

I'm just saying, they competed reasonably well on defense and in the end being so depleted caught up with them.

9. RockyHill

I had that attitude until Saturday. Literally the only thing that can make the season not a disappointment is to win the SEC.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

And sometimes when the boulder gets going down the hill you can't stop it.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I feel the years creeping up on me, and I don't want to be 70 and drooling before we are really good again. :)

That said, I am trying to enjoy the season, and I hope we go 10-2, I really do. But this game was a culmination of shitty coaching, shitty S&C over the summer and shitty depth built over 4 years. Yes, Jones started behind the eightball after the DDIAPOS era. Yes, it was Alabama that has the #1 class 193 years running.

But it isn't about this one game. Screw this game, we were never winning, we were beat up after 7 straight weeks (and 4 straight tough games).

But we have been down double digits 6 of our 7 games.
    Our offense is beyond stupid.
    Our defense stays on the field far too long.
    We have relied on our kids just being more athletic than our competition.

And in our next 5 games, I think there is a real chance we drop another game, especially if the status quo of very slow starts continues.

Not a negavol, but just calling it as I see it.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The talent gap between Tennessee and the next 5 opponents is huge, that's a blessing and a curse.

They'll win a squeaker against Mizzou, probably blow USCe out, horsetomp UK and win by two tds against Vandy.

Then, we'll go to Atlanta and hopefully not get boat raced by Alabama again, win the bowl game against Wisconsin and Butch will yell "progress", "grit" and "resiliency".

Now, if TAMU goes to Atlanta, all bets are off

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Offense was far more alarming. Without a gift fumble, that was a 3 point outing.

14. NorrisAlan

We are not beating Wisconsin.

15. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's about the way I see it.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

I don't know that much about S&C, but I don't think the injuries we're getting can be attributed directly to it. At least not most of them. And it's hard to envision pulling of all those comebacks if it was that bad.

I don't like the offense either but it put up 700 yards a week ago.

For some reason I feel like South Carolina is the biggest hurdle left. Get them and we won't lose again in the regular season.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sure we will. They'll be pissed they aren't in the playoff, Butch treats it as his Super Bowl

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kamara was responsible for 300 of those, where was he Saturday?

19. JohnnyQuickkick

I agree. Gotta get him the ball. Not sure why they won't.

20. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]