Any Of You's Guy's Had Any Experience With Preemie Babies?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NYY, Oct 26, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Thoughts and prayers for you and yours

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Prayers and thoughts for you and your family

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Praying droski. My Little Man was a tad premature. You couldn't tell it today. I've experienced the fear and worry, so I empathize. Keep us posted.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Thoughts and prayers with you Droski

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Good luck Droski. I've seen some really small babies get along just fine after being born much earlier. I know it's scary, but certainly not as bleak as things could be.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Thanks guys. So far it doesn't look like she's close to labor. Hopefully we can keep the kids in her belly for a couple of weeks. I'm glad we are at ucla. Top notch doctors even though i dislike the football team.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They give you baby blue stuff whether you have a boy or a girl.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I laughed.

It's good she's not close to labor

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Doubtful the two are inclusive. Glad to hear there has been a positive turn.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd probably have a very immature meltdown if they ever put the kids in baby blue.

Her contractions have been dropping and stablizing and there are few signs of infection so so far she and the babies are doing great. thanks for all the prayers and thoughts guys.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I wish you all the best with your child. My son was born last August with the cord wrapped around his neck twice, purple and completely limp, so I know the sheer terror involved with someone so little and dear to your heart. However, I found modern medicine quite phenomenal in that instance and I think you will find the same. They relly can do some amazing things and being at the hospital is a great security blanket.

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Droski - I'm glad to hear things still seem to be improving / holding. Best of luck.

My wife is classified as high risk because she is a Type 1 diabetic.

So, she has to get non-stress tests twice a week. Her first was tonight, after a 10 hour shift at work. They are basically fetal heart monitoring and monitoring for contractions. Apparently they detected contractions, though my wife wasn't feeling anything. I suppose they were very weak. They kept her for a few hours and they started dying down. She wasn't dilated and they took a swab to check on fluid leaking, but we haven't heard back on that (I assume had it come back positive we would have already heard). So, I suppose things are good for now - but it leaves one wondering.

Good news is that we are at 32 weeks today (this was her first non-stress test, which start at 32 weeks). So, we're pretty far along. Given she's 32 weeks...I'd say standing around on her feet all day (today was a very busy day in the OR) caused her to have some light contractions. May have to re-evaluate how long she works...she was trying to make it through the end of this month.

13. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

My twins spent a month in the NICU. I'll PM my cell to you Oski. Feel free to call me anytime.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Great idea.

I'll do the same. Like I said, my wife has been a NICU nurse for 17 years. Fell free to call or text if that is more comfortable. Glad things are going well. I will continue to remember your family in my prayers.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd die for 32 weeks at this point. hope all works out for you.

update: so far no labor. so all good. doctor says with this type of situation it's only a matter of time before she gets an infection and has to deliver. We are hoping for 30 weeks which would be next sat.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Thanks to both. Class bunch here at the 8th.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Droski feel free to PM me as well. I know they put my wife on some serious meds to hold the labor off as long as they could.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Thanks, Dros. So far so good...and 32 weeks is a big relief.

I'm glad to hear the kiddos are still delaying their debut. I'm sure every day is a big help at this point.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

cardinalvol pm me and asked for an update so i thought i'd post my reply here:

pretty much the same as before. which is a good thing. on sat she will be 30 weeks which is more than we could have hoped for a week ago when the doctors were preparing nicu beds for the twins. so far no new signs of infection or early labor, but the doctors before told us that if she made 3 weeks it'd be a miracle so our time might be up soon. but the fact we've made it 1 week is huge and we are feeling a lot better about the situation. thanks for asking.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Glad it's going as good as possible