Barron Trump Thought Beheaded Image Was His Dad

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, May 31, 2017.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Glad CNN cut ties.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Schneider is John Wayne by comparison.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I had no idea she had a show on CNN. Her not being able to advance a liberal agenda is a major blow to Trump's reelection hopes.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Even as a conservative (by today's definition of the word) I have to laugh at all the outrage on the right considering the many times I saw Obama hanged in effigy, depicted as a monkey, eating watermelons/bananas and having been shot or appearing in crosshairs over an "I have a dream" caption....

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I hope it is. She is a POS.

6. Savage Orange

I bet anything there is a photo somewhere of her and Trump together all yukking it up... Can't wait for it to surface...

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We run around in different circles.

8. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

There were some incredibly ugly depictions of Obama, he's right about that. I don't think they were that hard to find.

9. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yes there were. It doesn't make what KG did any less terrible (not that you're saying otherwise). Two wrongs and such. We're always going to see less noise from those on the same perceived 'side'. The way it is.

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

[​IMG]

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Stupid thing to do, but I really don't see the big deal either.

12. TennTradition

The guy is the President. That doesn't make him free from reproach but we should also have enough respect for the office not to simulate his beheading.

Rubs me the wrong way.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Comedy, like art, should do that from time to time.

14. Tenacious D

I just don't see the big deal at all.

Who cares what Kathy Griffin does?

She thought it'd get her some free pub (it has), and as soon as the smoke clears a bit, her liberal pals will subtly champion her for it, it'll turn into a free bit in her next comedy act. And for all of this, she's lost what, a gig hosting New Year's Eve on CNN? Totally worth it.

I did notice that her apology neither directly addressed either Trump or the office of the POTUS. But, matters little.

15. TennTradition

I agree but disagree that this arrives at THAT end. There isn't a single thing funny about it. It's not comedy. Sometimes only a comedian can throw a fact in your face. But this isn't a reality thatvwe all need to open our eyes to or something. Even if you wanted to view this as a symbol of the liberal attack on Trump and as a comedian you want to make the point that things are going overboard, then I think you could find a more suitable image.

16. Tenacious D

Again, in both art and comedy - where and when the work "lands", or to what larger truth it seeks to show, is -by definition- entirely up to the artist alone, and stands precisely where it was intended. And wherever that is, it is completely independent of your interpretation, sentiment, dis/belief, dis/comfort, dis/agreement, boundaries of appropriateness or acceptance or rejection of it.

I'm not saying that you aren't justified (completely, even) in feeling like this was inappropriate, tasteless, tactless, "over the line", offensive, etc. I'd say that's completely understandable, but I'd also say that's completely the point. And I'm damned sure not saying that Kathy Griffin is some "artist" in the traditional sense, that she did this for any reason other than sheer publicity, or that she intended it as some high-minded artistic effort. Hell, I'm not even sure that she intended anything, knew what she was doing, or could conceive it, even if it was slowly explained to her. But it's an artistic work, which requires an artist, nonetheless.

I'm merely pushing into the notion that something must be necessarily condemnable, simply because it's offensive, disturbing, accidental, shitty, inappropriate, or even unfunny and stupid.

For a group who doesn't need "...reality that we all need to open our eyes to or something.", you guys are taking this with a surprisingly high sense of shock and bewilderment. And such is your right.

To me, it seems impossible to condemn the squelching of free speech at Cal, on one hand, but not make room for this, on the other.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't think anyone here is saying she didn't have the right or ability to do it. Or that it was outside the purview of being an "artist".

But freedoms come with responsibilities, and she is now suffering the consequences of those actions. And I agree, it is usually comedians who push the envelope, bring things up that are very uncomfortable. But if not careful, you can cross the line, and I think this is one of those times where it verged from being avant-garde and became crude and unnecessary.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We, as a society, want 100% of the freedoms and 0% of the responsibilties.

19. TennTradition

There is obviously room for it - it is just highly inappropriate speech.

20. Savage Orange

And there it is...