Benghazi Blowout thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 25, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is the story that will not die. What happened, exactly? What did we and do we know, and when did we know it (or not?)

Chain of events:

1) News sources report some sort of disturbance at the embassy

2) News sources/government outlets describe it as protesters

3) Protests break out in Egypt, other ME locations over a youtube movie released months ago

4) Details released by WH are sketchy, vague. Other government sources seem to release contradictory accounts

5) After two week, the original most repeated description of the event as "protesters" is replaced with "organized terrorist attack"

6) WH says it always referred to it as an attack, but details were mirky

7) Republicans claim terrorist groups claimed responsibility for the attack within hours of the event (this position was first taken over a month after the attack)

8) Bombshell email is uncovered, which claims known terror groups claimed responsibility for the attack on social media. This email is dated within hours of the start of the incident, concurrent with the continuing attack.

9) Examination of known twitter, facebook, and other social media accounts of the alleged terrorist groups reveal no claim of responsibility at any time for the attack, contradicting the email's claim.

2. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Good summary of events with it likely that more will come out. A poorly executed cover up is underway IMO. Obama wins the election - important info disappears and investigation is stonewalled. Romney wins - it all gets swept under the rug with a reset on security at embassies. Both will allude to the need for better and more timely intel. From either mouth will come "we have learned from our mistakes ...."

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is definitely some sort of cover-up going on. I just don't think it is as simple as the election as to the reason.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Still not sure what the deal is on this. The cover-up is going to be far more damaging than the screw-up of not responding to the requests for more security. And sure does look like someone in the State Department is trying to suppress testimonies. I am not sure if Obama is in on it. If he isn't, he better get out in front on this pronto or he's going to get a serious black eye.

5. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

It sounds like a lower government official screwed up and then tried to play interference to cover up between WH and Embassy officials.

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Barbeques, tattoo's for jersey's and screwing up defending an obvious terrorist attack tend to get people fired. Well, at least the first two on the list do.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

We're likely to never know all of the details regarding this event. Accountability in certain gov't echelons rarely exists and therefore someone will eventually fall on the sword to wrap this up once and for all. Can't have those dark clouds hovering around come election time...

10. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Will Hillary Clinton politically survive this mess?

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Depends on what you mean by 'survive' ... I believe it completely ruins her chances at a stint in the big office.

12. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

She should be done in any realm of politics and should probably be in a federal prison.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Papa Joe is in the drivers seat?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

should have been in prison after her commodity trade fraud.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this is the reality. Being a sorry ass politico as SoS shouldn't see her imprisoned. Covering up shiz to protect the next two elections is a problem, but isn't against the law.

16. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't know....

Hillary Clinton Accepts Public Service Award In Beverly Hills « CBS Los Angeles

17. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

Nothing will happen to Hilary or Obama.

18. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

Yep. No one cares.

19. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

I should say no dems care. Independents care a little not much.

20. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

I'll take the blame