Butch Jones' Buyout

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 28, 2015.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Dooley was way worse than Jones.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That would cost even more money, though, as you would have to pay him 3.5 million per year left on his contract.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

This would be funny.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You have perfectly encapsulated the current discussions, elsewhere.

Now, let's see if it turns to action.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There's a lot of truth in this statement.

6. Tenacious D

The costliest part of that scenario is that he'd still be around your program.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I, to some extent, would usually agree with you. However, we are at a point where we're teetering on being a "yesterday" program (you could argue we've already moved into that category, but can still reverse fortunes), and we're nearing the point where it's going to be hard to change that opinion. If Butch can't do it (and I'm convinced he can't), then this next hire MUST be a home run. And it's got to be settled before the decision to cut Butch loose is made.

8. NorrisAlan

Put his office in the power plant and tell him that he has to count the pieces of coal in the coal room.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Does the buyout not stipulate a reduction as soon as he is employed elsewhere?

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I understand. If Hart isn't gone this year, though, I fear our ****ed up AD will extend Jones further if he ever reaches 8 wins. I know that sounds like complete fantasy, yet that's exactly what Tennessee now does.

11. NorrisAlan

That kind of stipulation is usually in the mode of another position of the same level. Why Dooley is still getting all his money AND robbing the Cowboys at the same time.

Jones could take a job as OC or Pep Band Leader and still get full pay from UT.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not your "men's" football team. That's how you do it. You create a club women's football team, and put your "head football coach" in charge of it. From there, one of 3 things happen:

1) He quits (ya!)

2) He complains either publicly or privately. You fire him for cause as making discriminatory comments towards women and make the case that per Title IX, he must be released for creating a hostile environment for women (ya!)

3) He stubbornly hangs around to collect that salary. In which case, an "accusation" is made and once again you use Title IX. (ya!)

It ain't elegant, but the above could work. I've got this guys.

13. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

He's a phony, but I think he's worked hard to become a head coach...and I think he's the type who would want to prove Tennessee wrong. I could see him as a HC see again, and he could point to his recruiting as reason #1 why another school should hire him. He could be at a place like UCF or Illinois, I'd imagine. He's not successful here, but not a total embarrassment - yet.

14. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I think Butch would get another head coaching job. So, we would have to pay the full amount. Hell, we could help him. Send his ass to Illinois or wherever.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

He could win enough to hang around UCF a little while. He would probably wind up earning money from two buyouts (if such is possible) if he went to the big 10.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If I'm the AD in this boat, I start calling plays and coaching during the week. You aren't going to want to stay for me.

Once you're pissed, we'll start negotiating.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

If only I were a multi millionaire!

18. Tenacious D

If fired, Jones would have to make a good faith effort to secure other and similar employment. The buyout amount that he would be owed by Tennessee would be reduced by whatever salary amount he gained elsewhere.

And like others here, I also think that Jones could get another head coaching gig, just at a mid-tier school, where he best belongs.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd still rather take the chance of reaching into a pile of shit and pulling out a diamond, however small that chance is, than to stick with the shit we already have.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

When you've created the coaching story he has, the next head job is a tough argument.