Butch Jones' Buyout

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 28, 2015.

1. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

Is this what being a Kansas football fan feels like?

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Not sure Jones is such a great recruiter, either. I don't remember him recruiting well for the Bearcats even by their standards and in comparison to Brian Kelly before him. He recruits well here because Dooley was lazy by comparison but it's not hard to recruit well here. Also, he had a ton of legacies and in state guys like Hurd set the tone for his 2014 class. He also had early playing time to sell. My point is, I don't see Butch going to Illinois and recruiting well plus he sucks at coaching so they would be stupid to hire him.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

All the shenanigans during the Hamilton years to justify his continued employment just destroyed us.

4. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

No, because we don't get to look forward to basketball.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Only 98' is seen by the masses.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This is where I am. Sans legacies, he's mediocre at best-at a school where recruiting is clearly doable.

7. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I'm not looking to start an argument (seriously) but I don't agree with this. "Lightning in a bottle"? That was a pretty nice run we had while he was here. He fell off and need to leave but that wasn't just lightning in a bottle.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Fulmer had Cutcliffe. That worked. When he decided he could get it done with Sanders, it was finished. All the machinations from the early 2000s in keeping him employed have now come home to roost. We had a golden opportunity to take over the East when Spurrier left, and he just kept sitting on his ass and trotting out Hamilton to support him.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I agree.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Even with the buyout, it's just hard to see us keeping him if we lose to Arkansas, Georgia, and Alabama.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

2-5 will cause this town to implode. I am buying bottled water and MRE's by the pallet.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

So beating a beaten up Arky team makes it better?

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And Hamilton was hand-picked and widely endorsed for the AD job by whom?

And who could have said a single word against Hamilton and killed his candidacy?

Fulmer.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no question. Fulmer essentially hired Hamilton. That was the beginning of the end. Takes a while to sink to the bottom, but we've continued spiraling for 15 years now.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Starting 2-5 in his third season, when people were picking us to win the East, will be hard to overcome. He'll likely have a couple of more losses coming at that point, as well.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Anyone watch the press conference?

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I didn't say that. I just think starting 2-5, 0-4 will be too much to just pretend he needs more time.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If we haven't reached the tipping point yet, we aren't reaching it this year.

There is actually nothing more for him to do to prove that he can't coach football. Nothing. If DeBord and the inexplicable decisions that have lost us 5-10 games over the pat 2.3 seasons don't work, nothing will.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No but lipstick on a pig fools too many people, you know this.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

fyp.