Butch Jones quote from yesterday:

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Oct 19, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Give me a quick QB any day. I don't care about fast. I want quick.

2. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I doubt Dobbs is the answer to anything. But damn - do something.

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think quick fits the system we have the best.

I'll get murdered for it but I honestly don't think the system is the problem. I also think Bajakian is stubborn but when he has his players, like Jancek, I think he'll be fine.

I just think Mahoney is outclassed like Heistand was. Replace Mahoney with a legit ZBS OL Coach (like Pittman was for power scheme) and we're in business.

I think it'll be Dormady at QB. Jennings will get his shot but will be moved to Safety. Considering our only Safety in the 2015 class is Stephen Griffin and 1 of 2 Safeties in the 2014 class moved to LB, I think the coaches may also be keeping a seat warm in the DB group, so to speak. Just my take.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I would think Dobbs could at least provide a little change of pace. A Dobbs package with primarily run options and plays where he is rolling out with the run/pass option.

And I'm not really interested in who is better between Dobbs and Worley. I'm seriously having a hard time believing Dobbs isn't better than Peterman. Because, honestly, just being halfway not terrible might have won us the UGA game. Is one extra year of eligibility for Dobbs worth a quality SEC win when we have so few in the past several years? I say no.

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The problem is 2014 isn't a must-win year for Jones and crew. They know that 6-6 and a bowl game will on par with expectations.

If anything, actually, 6-6 and a bowl win may be ending on a higher note for recruiting than 7-5 and a bowl loss a la 2009 where we're simply in over our heads.

So, to be frank, I do think holding Dobbs back is worth it. He'd be getting his ass kicked in the classroom and then on Saturday? He'd have Cromptonitis. We need Dobbs healthy and confident next year.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They didn't seem super worried about protecting Dobbs when they asked him to throw it 57 zillion times in his first start as a true frosh against a team leading the SEC in sacks.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I also don't really get the burning desire to redshirt Dobbs, but maybe there's something I don't know.

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I never said it was logical.

9. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Interesting. I must have overlooked him. I'll be honest, I have not kept up with the 2015 class like some others on here. Hopefully we'll be able to utilize our offense better with one of other guys once Worley graduates.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Foot race challenge accepted.

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

how much speed, if any, did the "chiggering" rob you of? it had to take it's toll.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I dont think holding Dobbs out (assuming that has or will happen through the entire season) makes him any more prepared next year.

13. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

14. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

....which is 99.99% likely nothing at all to look into.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was the severed ball of the femur that slowed me. I still have 3 long pins in my leg.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Must have been some big ass chiggers.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

separate incidents.

18. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Dobbs has minimal PT and not much of that is successful. How in the hell is keeping him from live game reps going to make him MORE effective in 2015?

19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Listened to his presser today. It was disgusting how the press threw softball questions at coach Lyle.

20. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

how'd you manage that? i'm guessing blunt trauma or severe early onset osteoporosis. and long of pins are you talking?
    ha