Calling All Lawyers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Mar 24, 2015.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Just some simple legal advise needed. Any help will be much appreciated.

A few months back my employer started incinerating polystyrene inside of our facility (should be noted it is not a plastic factory and I would bet any amount of money they haven't acquired a permit). They're doing so in a closed facility that isn't designed for such an action, ie proper ventilation, safety equipment etc.

After doing some simple research I found that incomplete incineration of polystyrene emits dangerous toxins. Especially when incinerated at temperatures below 1000 degrees Celcius, the level of the toxins rises exponentially. The extruder being used is a very old model (I worked in a plastic extrusion factory as a teenager) so I think its safe to assume that it doesn't operate at a more appropriate level, plus the guy that sold them the extruder told them they'd have to hire a man to work full-time to dispose of all the polystyrene because the extruder wasn't powerful enough to dispose of it all quickly.

So they've been incinerating everyday, to the detriment to all the employees that are exposed.

Is there a case to be made? If so, could it be class action?

I greatly appreciate any input.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

whistleblower would be the way to go I'd think, but I'm no lawyer.

3. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

If GahLee stops posting, we'll know they got to him first.

4. GahLee

I really don't know what to do. When I first saw the extruder I asked what it was for, when I was told I laughed, I couldn't believe it. But months later, it's still up and running. I've mentioned to two different managers how harmful it is, especially considering the lack of ventalation. I got headaches at work from the smell. Nobody seems to give a **** but I give a **** about breathing in toxins that can cause cancer and nurological problems.

5. GahLee

They're too stupid to execute a hit and too cheap to pay for one, I'm safe.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Personally I'd find another job before I sue.

7. GahLee

That's the least of my concerns.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Give OSHA a call.

Or better. The EPA will be all over a non-permitted incinerator. RCRA whaaaat?

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If they are burning petroleum products and not venting the gasses outside, yeah, I imagine that is incredibly dangerous and should be brought to someone's attention. But I am no lawyer, so do not take this as advice.

You are the only one that can truly make a decision, as you have witnessed it and its effects.

10. GahLee

Both have crossed my mind, OSHA would have a field day, there are a number of things they'd get hit for.

11. l3rewski

l3rewski Member

Yeah seems like OSHA, TOSHA, NIOSH, etc would have a field day with this, so long as your employer isn't exempt. IIRC, there are whistleblower protection programs associated with the employer protection agencies as well.

12. GahLee

Like I said, I knew it was bad without doing research, after doing some basic research on it I've discovered it's more dangerous than I even imagined.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

14. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Give OSHA a call and give an anonymous tip.

15. GahLee

I'm unaware of any whistleblower protection programs. Seems as though that would be null and void if there are legit health concerns for several employees. This is something the facility manager thought of and to my knowledge is only being practiced at our facility. He has somehow managed to make money off of this, so I'm sure that other facility managers may follow his lead.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Call OSHA and the EPA if you are concerned. Even though you were asking about air permitting, I'd start with OSHA. OSHA handles reprisals against whistleblowers. Has your company completed any monitoring for employees who work in the area that are potentially exposed to any contaminants? I'm not that familiar with the process, but I'd guess this would have involved hanging air sampling pumps on individuals or some sort of badge to measure organic vapors. They could have done area monitoring as well, but personal is preferred in most cases. If they've done no monitoring and/or can't give you documented, believable rationale as to why they believed it unnecessary, then I'd be concerned and give calling OSHA serious consideration. What state you are in will determine who responds. Tennessee has its own state OSHA plan that it administers, but you can still call the federal number.

As far as the environmental side and permitting, I'm not as familiar with the requirements, but I'm pretty sure that would be an operation requiring permitting. Calling EPA would be in order here.

If you don't want to be identified, you should have the option to remain anonymous, but it's not a foolproof thing. I found out who called the EPA at the plant where I used to work because the guy contacted the national emergency response hotline instead of EPA for complaints. This ultimately resulted in me receiving a transcript of the report including the guy's name and address from the local EMA.

17. GahLee

They aren't doing any sort of monitoring. None.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Go to your neighborhood video rental store and grab a copy of Erin Brockovich. This should guide you in the right direction.

19. GahLee

In fact, I don't think the guy handling the extruding process is even wearing a mask.

20. GahLee

I'm watching with the subtitles on right now.