Calling All Lawyers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Mar 24, 2015.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Better call Saul

2. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If he brings his brother, I'm in.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

open a few windows and doors with a few fans. You're welcome

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

This stuff can take years to manifest. Better do your due diligence now. I'd imagine you should get legal counsel before whistle-blowing.

5. GahLee

It's a 400,000 square foot facility.

6. GahLee

Litigation would be a mess, it's a very large company. I'm sure they have some high priced firm on retainer. Calling OSHA or the EPA or both would probably result in some pretty swift action.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Should just start burning it in some metal barrels out back.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

That actually would be better for the employees. Better still, just get the proper equipment to burn it at 1000 C.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If you want to piss your employer off, EPA is harder to deal with than OSHA.

10. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

an american jury will never go for this 1000 C. crap, best go with 1832 F.

11. GahLee

Noted.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This is true in most cases.

13. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

A case for what?

You have an actionable cause once you can show harm. A class has an actionable case when it can show harm. If your goal is to try to get the company to stop the practice, you should probably contact their HR/compliance department first (best practice would offer a method to do so anonymously,) followed by notifying the appropriate regulator. If your goal is to sue for damages, you should probably wait until you develop cancer before calling a lawyer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  14. GahLee

So exposing employees to harmful carcinogens isn't grounds for legal action?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

whistleblowers can get a percentage of the fine charged to the company. . .

16. GahLee

And I'm not even saying that's the route I'll go. Actually, there is a really good chance that this thread is as far as it goes as far as litigation is concerned. At the very least I will be contacting either the EPA or OSHA.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Having not seen the facility, equipment, or controls(or lack thereof), it's hard to know what exposure levels may be, but if you've a concern, I'd make the call. Sometimes people get worked up over something that's not a concern. I've seen and had to deal with cases like that dozens of times. While that's true, I would not sit idly by if I was in your situation and concerned. Be prepared to make additional calls if you get no resolution. If your employer has a good relationship with the agency, they may only make a phone call. If it's OSHA (and TOSHA in particular), any problems could be explained away. This is less likely to happen with environmental regulators, but still could.

18. GahLee

I never knew that.

19. GahLee

The carcinogens emitted are very serious.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

OSHA tends to make deals or charge a slight fine.

EPA has no let up. They tend to hammer you.