Calling All Lawyers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Mar 24, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

A Civil Action

2. kidbourbon

Why has nobody dropped dead yet?

You need damages or what are you suing for?

Also, you would proximate cause linking these alleged carcinogens to people getting sick or dropping dead or having kids with two and half heads. And this would require proof of the existence of the carcinogens. Do you have that? Or do you just think they might be there?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  3. kidbourbon

Where did the fine come from?

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not following you. are you saying someone has to drop dead before a company can be in violation of pollution or safe practice laws and subject to fine?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  5. kidbourbon

I asked you a simple question. It wasn't rhetorical.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous. And, uh, a lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head.

8. kidbourbon

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

an awful lot of people who run actual businesses in this thread seem to think they or OSHA would give a shit.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's true, but there are occupational exposure limits. Some are extremely low. That's why exposure monitoring should be conducted.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

TOSHA is woefully inept. Federal OSHA is most often much worse. Monetary fines are generally worse from EPA or state environmental regulators than OSHA unless you get into willful or repeat violations. Where OSHA can be a bear is their persistence. OSHA tends to "fish" more when they get their foot in the door. The last thing you want to hear is that they are broadening their scope to include the entire facility. That can cost more in manpower than fines depending on the condition and size of the place. For smaller worksites, OSHA is less of a problem for a number of reasons.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Two words, willful and repeat, are what ran the total up. Just looking at the numbers, it could have been worse. The maximum fine for those are ten times that for "serious" or "other than serious".

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

If your goal here is stopping a potentially dangerous practice, get on it, or get out of harms way. If something other, at least inform your fellow employees of possible risk, particularly those in immediate area of incineration. The fact that you have experienced headaches tells me this is not a safe work environment.

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

If they consider something waste and you are not permitted to incenerate it, they most definitely care.

FWIW, it wasn't clear to me here whether or not this would be considered waste.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes, if it's not properly vented or if it's not burnt off correctly

17. kidbourbon

Well the question is whether it's polluting the environment generally. The way I'm understanding this situation, if this gas were being chimney'd out to the skies, Gah-lee wouldn't be sweating this situation as much. If it's air in a contained environment of a private factory, it would not seem to be an EPA issue.

18. kidbourbon

Though I should be quite honest -- I don't know a thing about the EPA or what they do. Seems reasonable they would concern themselves over rivers, and not a pool in your backyard.

19. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

It's not a factory. This is totally out of the realm of what the company actually does for profit.

20. kidbourbon

OSHA makes more sense. Doesn't strike me as an EPA issue. But then again I'm just basing that on a reasonable plain-language interpretation of the word 'environmental'. Could be way off.