Can Jancek get it done?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tripper, Jun 28, 2013.

1. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

If Martinez can't coach, why would Butch hire him?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Why do people keep hiring Wade Phillips and Norv Turner? Why did the Cowboys hire [ddiapos]?

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He needed a guy that could recruit and that knew the SEC.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He can recruit, which is probably priority #1 right now in rebuilding a program.

Honestly, his DBs looked as if they had never seen a bootleg before in their lives in the first half of the 2009 UGA game.

5. limpleg

That's true. But it you think Butch hires a coach that he thinks can recruit but can't coach, I don't know why you would have confidence in the HC.

6. limpleg

How many dbs has Martinez put in the nfl? I don't know. Just wondering.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Just got "that feeling"

8. CardinalVol

It'll pass next time you fart.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

His ability to get talent on campus. Plus, this is his third job at a big time program. He can't tell Butch he's working him too hard on the recruiting trail

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Jancek is average as a coach but a good recruiter. He did coach a fairly competitive defense last season.

Martinez is a bad coach but a great recruiter

11. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

OU led the Conference in scoring "D" and were eighth in the NCAA in Pass Defense.

Martinez, like Sunseri, I'm fine w/ as a position coach, not DC.

12. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

i was at uga during the peak Martinez years. The guy could get some great recruits, but his defenses were some of the worst disciplined teams i'd ever seen... Until last year at least. Thankfully he doesn't have play calling abilities.

13. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I think the defense is more dependent upon how well Stripling coaches the DL. If he can FINALLY get Smith or...anyone for that matter...to get the QB, it will make everyone's job a lot easier.

Jancek is the biggest unknown, and (likely) concern, to me. What was his role at UGA as CO-DC? Did he call the plays or did Martinez? Either way, that D gave up a lot of points to the big opponents on their roster. Granted, Grantham didn't fare much better in '10 but he was implementing a 3-4 and road bumps are to be expected...but he seems to be doing just fine now.

His D at Cincy, at least from what I've read, were middle of the road...in the Big East. I know nothing of his play calling...

Going to be something to watch, for sure. My guess is, we'll at least have a decent idea whether he can hold his own by the end of the day on September 14th...hell, we might know by the end of the first half.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I never said he couldn't.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Obviously did such a great job he was promptly relieved of his. Martinez is a recruiter. Period. If he brings in players good enough to overcome his coaching, it's a win. If not, we'll find someone else to coach them. Not a hard concept.

16. hatvol96

How did his second year in Norman go?

17. hatvol96

Fourth. He was part of the train wreck at Auburn last year.

18. CardinalVol

Can he really be that much worse than slade at the end?

19. limpleg

Butch Jones didn't hire a guy he thought could recruit only, but not coach.

20. hatvol96

Then he obviously did a shitty job of vetting Martinez's job history.