Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Even for a middling education, free is still free.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

They've.................invested a lot into their program the last 10 years or so. They've passed Webb by in football and it's not even close.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They moved to the school in early 2000 but I don’t think started playing games there until the 01 season. Webb was absolutely better in every facet from an athletic facilities standpoint in the 90s and up to that point. So was CAK for that matter.

Our weight room was the size of a large walk in closet, we played in a stadium owned by the city that was literally falling apart, our soccer teams never played a home game and the gym was a total shithole. There was nowhere to go but up.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

That's how Briarcrest was. Weight room was a machine shop. Only had one patch of grass to practice on campus. Played home football on Winchester road, 45 minutes away at an elementary school. Had no home baseball field and practiced at the penal farm softball field off walnut grove with prisoners taunting mainly thr coaches thru their windows And, we were AAA at the time with no private school separation. BA was AA at the time.
    Then the school went bankrupt, separated from the church, was given a few million and turned it into a college looking campus in Eads. Banners everywhere now. Yeah well you didnt have to play Melrose in the state champ game. Probably played BGA or somebody to win it

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Academics aren’t so much better at Webb either, to make up the difference. In fact, all 3 are pretty much the same across the board (KCHS, Webb and CAK).

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

We played 1A when I was there. Had to travel to the likes of Sunbright, Coalfield, Jellico, Copper Basin, Trousdale, etc to fill out a schedule.

As they moved up, it felt like the winner of the Catholic/Fulton games were the prime contenders for the state title.

7. CardinalVol

Is it bad I'm already thinking through draft strategy for next year's baseball draft approximately 363 days from now?

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes.

9. CardinalVol

Oh well.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have one parent who clearly thinks I don’t know what I’m doing and is arguing that a full extension of your arm for pitching kills the power of the pitch. Keep in mind his kids shot put every throw. I was warned about him and still drafted the kids. Sigh

11. CardinalVol

Idiot.

12. CardinalVol

I felt terrible for one kid on my team from last year though. Great kid, decent ballplayer, really hard on himself, had a terrible tryout and broke down at the end and cried. Every coach passed and he's going to wind up in the minors again and has no business being there.

And before you ask, yes, we almost drafted him with our last pick, but a kid that had fallen a lot that we had graded really high and who is just an all around better athlete and baseball player with more potential was on the board and we picked him instead.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

guy was a former manager and got a team taken away from him so he thinks he knows everything

14. CardinalVol

Wait.

A guy was a former manager, got his team taken from him, and you still drafted his kid?

You are an idiot of the rarest kind.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

mistakes happen. The guy I am talking about kids dropped to my division because they had a bad tryout and the dad is a pain while a kid who is super awful and should be in my division got drafted because he had a decent tryout. The parents now think the league has it out for their kids.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup. I am an idiot. His kids were the highest kids on my board by a wide margin and I heard he’d umpire and is fairly helpful. At least his kids are nice and hit the shit out of the ball.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

And probably not using his legs while worried about arm bending/extending.
    Just throw it. Getting too technical on a kid in little league isn't the best idea imo.
    Never forget the first year I didnt coach my son who had a nice little short from the ear release, suited for 2b or ss, and this coach has him reaching straight back full extension and he looked awful doing it. Awful

18. CardinalVol

Update - I screwed up. This kid was drafted, we were just out of draft picks so I Stopped paying attention and didn't see him at the end. My bad.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wife just emailed me asking why we aren't having weekly field practices, she wants me to have 2 practices and 2 games a week?

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

That's a good start. What about the other 3 days?

droski and CardinalVol like this.