Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

kids who catch a lot have this issue too. my best pitcher's mechanics look like tommy john to me, using his arm too much and not the body, but he's had so much professional coaching i guess that's their concern not mine.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

in droski's little league news. started 5-1 and was killing everyone. only loss was by a run and a bit flukey. went 1-4 the next 5 games and not really sure why except my team has been swinging at shit, but putting balls in play and there have been a lot of 8-10 pitch zero run innings which have allowed the other teams best pitchers to pitch deep into games. we are also seeing everyone's best pitchers because we had a target on our back after the quick start.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I remember watching a video by Rick Sutcliffe, and he was adamant that it was fastball and change up ONLY until high school. Thoughts on that?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Knuckle balls are okay too

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

For 75% of pitchers, probably. Big thing is just mechanics. Kids throw them wrong.

justingroves likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I remember laughing as there were so many walks then a kid would get a hit and almost startle the runners into running. So used to trotting base to base after walks.
    I also recall almost getting into it with another coach who told his team to take until 2 strikes. This was rec league first year kid pitch and this dude more concerned about walking in runs to win a game.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I loved watching Phil Niekro pitch.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My son is watching YouTube videos on how to throw them, I hate to tell him he can't throw hard enough to tell a difference

Poppa T likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's an 11 year old kid who's playing at Goodlettsville that brings other games to a stop when he pitches, he's throwing darts. He uses a change up a lot too and his parents have told him he can throw 3 curves a game...they're nasty when he does.

He also catches, he's thrown two kids out at first from his knees this year

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

I can still tell you, to this day, my "finest" pitching performance. Was 10U. Won 15-8, no hitter, struck out 8 in 3 innings, walked 15ish?

But I threw a no-no.

justingroves likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Heading down to play at Hoover today. They will have athletes. I am wearing the T, as are ~10 other parents per my request.
    One fun thing about this year is travelling to play the best programs. Cbhs, mba, Baylor, Hoover. Blowouts aren’t fun.
    According to MaxPreps, we have outscored opponents 132-42 thru 10 games. I’m no math whizz but that seems about 13-4 avg game, but skewed by a couple 20 goal wins where we had freshmen in the whole 4th quarter and you can’t tell those kids to not try to score in their only PT of the year.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I watched a hell of a 10u baseball game today, a 7 inning 2-1/2 hour marathon that kept getting tied up

My son's team won, finally on a walk and a passed ball. It was a pretty clean game with a lot of actual baseball played. Our catcher threw out 4 guys trying to steal.

CardinalVol likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ha, my son's team got no hit the other night....won 4-1

14. Ssmiff

Went down to Hoover, watched as they film an Under Armor commercial for football on their field, then proceeded to destroy them 15-5. Loudest [uck fay]ing crybabies I’ve seen the last 2 years.

15. Ssmiff

Had an email from the coach asking for a quick highlight blip for him to send a few places as we head into summer travel. First attempt at this. Skipped the music. Tried to quickly show some offense ability, a ground ball and clear with a little speed and defense where he was able to play help D and close down lanes.
    I hope some of you have some kids who like to run and find this sport. I’ve never enjoyed anything else like I have the last 4 years since we tried it. Your kid starts in 4th or 5th grade will be a beast by 8th grade and size doesn’t really matter except a few collisions.
    I also realize this could be the worst reel ever but I only had a couple of games to choose from and it had to be under 1 minute.

16. Ssmiff

Gets physical in HS though. Head on a swivel. One of the dads put this together. Defense has been nasty all year

17. CardinalVol

At a middle school track meet. Kid threw up a peace sign and smiled 60m into the 100. Made. My. Day.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

Long night but drove down to Baylors absurd sprawling campus, watched them come out to bagpipes on their new fancy turf lacrosse field by the river then left with a 14-8 W to go 12-1 on the season. Playoffs next.

justingroves likes this.
  19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

justingroves likes this.
  20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wife went to Baylor, campus is nicer than a lot of colleges