Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

they added a new turf lacrosse field way back on campus by the water.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Son lost his perfect game on the last hitter of the game the other night. An error knocked him out of it. Still wound up with a no hitter.

Not one to ever be "that dad." But by God he was absolutely dealing. Went to a full count to one hitter. Threw 5 innings and 52 pitches.

Two of those innings he struck out the side on 9 pitches.

3. Ssmiff

I love to read about yalls kids stuff. If you are like me a little, I don’t share my proudness with my friends or people we hang out with. This is a place/thread to be proud. Brag a little. Why not. I’m pulling for all of them.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I told him before the game, as reluctantly I am coaching him, "you're the best player on this field tonight. Act like it."

Was nice to see him respond. And of course the smile on his face made it all worth it.

VolDad likes this.
  5. Ssmiff

Only coaching I do is go over some video with him and it’s usually basic reminders. He will realize he had more room or had a larger defenders hips turned, which is a good time to change direction and create space. Watching him then do what we talked about is fun.
    Self confidence and reminding kids to not overthink are underrated. They need reminded. Coaches are focused on their teams with limited time outside of practice and may not be reminding them how important those two are

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[QUOTE="NYY, post: 1207086, member: 48" Threw 5 innings and 52 pitches.
    [/QUOTE]

good lord

InVolNerable and NYY like this.
  7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I imagine it's nice to finally have a good pitcher in the family.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yea it's about time.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The opposing team's first base coach showed his ass last night, it was funny.

Their pitcher took a ground ball of the knee in the bottom of the 2nd inning. He shook it off and kept pitching. Top of the 4th, he's leading off, hbp and takes his base.

First base coach says they're going to courtesy run, ump tells him they can't do that with a pitcher or catcher unless there are two outs. Guy starts saying he's hurt, ump tells him a pinch runner means he's done for the night. Coach won't pinch run him.

Our head coach is talking to our catcher at home, the opposing first base coach starts yelling "he's hurt, too hurt to run" at our head coach. He looks, shrugs his shoulders and keeps talking to our catcher.

Guy keeps yelling, I yell "if he's that hurt, why did he pitch another inning?"

He starts screaming "he's not coming back out.. he's not coming back out!"

I and most every other adult start laughing, even his team.

I told him to just pinch run him if he's that hurt, he yells he's going to short!

So, kid too hurt to run is going to play shortstop.

The ump finally tells him to be quiet and is chuckling telling me to leave him alone.

They go 3 up 3 down after that, we score 5 runs un the bottom of the 4th

We win, he pulls his kid from the handshake line and walked to his car.

10. Ssmiff

Damn. You played Card and his son last night?

CardinalVol, NorrisAlan and utvol0427 like this.
  11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I called an opposing coach a Meatstick last night.

justingroves likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nah, I'd had my pitcher drill JGs son in retaliation.

Ssmiff likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He would steal 2nd and 3rd and score on a wild pitch

14. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

OTE="justingroves, post: 1207974, member: 13"]The opposing team's first base coach showed his ass last night, it was funny.

We win, he pulls his kid from the handshake line and walked to his car.[/QUOTE]

Well that's a great thing to teach a kid.

justingroves likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

State semis today. 13-1 v 13-2 Franklin. Should get chippy

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A walk, an rbi double and a stolen base. He had a good day

NorrisAlan and Ssmiff like this.
  17. Ssmiff

14-8 W. State champ game next week. First one in 20+ year school history if we can

VolDad and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. Ssmiff

Son is on the left. He’s gone from 12 years old to 16 in no time. Enjoy it fellas. When people say it goes fast, they ain’t lying. Make every day with your kids count.
    And happy mothers day KyleAlexanderFan

Attached Files:

Poppa T likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Odds of 7 and 8 year olds successfully executing this play?

20. Ssmiff

put your best player or qb receiving the ball and pitching it. Main issue will be that first kid getting tackled immediately as I assume 10 or 11 will be within 6 yards of los