Coming Soon.......The movie thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Apr 20, 2013.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I was sort of the opposite. It didn't really have my full attention until muh fuh'ers started dying.

I may have to give it a rewatch.

2. kidbourbon

Tarantino Movies:

1. .Pulp Fiction
    2. Inglorious
    3. Django
    4. Reservoir
    5. Kill Bill 2
    6. Kill Bill 1
    7. Hateful
    8. Jackie

I'm very excited about his next project -- he takes on the Manson Murders.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It had some slower moments in the first half now that I think about it. Saying it seemed to reach its crescendo a bit too early is probably more fair.

4. kidbourbon

I think that's fair.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm not his biggest fan, but I'm looking forward to that and the Star Trek movie that is in the works for him to helm.

6. kidbourbon

I'm definitely more excited about the Manson Murder one as I'm not a Trekkie. But I'm definitely not going to miss either one.

7. kidbourbon

As a screenwriter, director, or both? What about him do you not so much dig on?

I think that with Django and Hateful Eight, he made the movies a solid half hour longer than they needed to be, and that the films are worse for it. But he isn't the only director who, after reaching a certain status level, starts putting out movies that are way longer than they need to be. Scorsese, of course, comes to mind.

I guess at some point they earn themselves the right to not answer to anybody else about the final product, but that isn't necessarily a good thing for the audience member. Most anybody could use a good editor.

But I'll take the bad because it's in my humble opinion substantially outweighed by the awesomeness that he brings to the table. Like
    • the conversations seemingly for the sake of conversation ("royale with cheese" , "I don't tip", "etc. etc. etc.).
    • Mexican Standoffs
    • References to the Knoxville area
    • Fake product placements
    • Cartoonish gore

• Random closeups, e.g.:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And other stuff too.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think he's a better director than writer. I generally get what he's going after from an artistic standpoint in his films. It's just not my personal preference. Take Pulp Fiction for example. I get it. I just don't care. If I never see it again, I won't care. I don't hate it. I just don't find it particularly interesting. The same can be said about Grindhouse and Kill Bill. Inglourious Basterds is a good movie. Reservoir Dogs is great. I actually put Hateful Eight in my top five with Django and Jackie Brown filling out the rest.

I think you are right that his success has taken him to the point that people do not question his ideas, and he has fallen prey to the same malady that every successful director eventually succumbs. Both Django and Hateful Eight could have stood some editing to help move them along and wrap them up.

Like I said, I don't hate Tarantino at all, and I actually think he is evolving a bit as a film maker. The two upcoming movies, one based on actual events and another in an established science fiction universe, represent new directions for him. He will be forced to stay within some established parameters to some degree at least. It will be interesting. He has a great talent for dialog in his work, and it will be intereting to see some of his talents work within a box he hasn't created.

9. kidbourbon

q. Movies are subjective. Not as subjective as music, I would argue, but still very subjective. Pulp Fiction, for example, is in my humble opinion the finest movie ever made. There was a time where i was pretty much obsessed with it. I've probably seen it over 50 times,, which isin't something a person shoudl strive to do (or reveal in a public forum either, but oh well), but I just think it's that's great.

I'm very interested to see how Manson is portrayed. I'm not expert on that case or on manson in general, but from what I've picked up from a show here or there on ID, I'm not necessarily sure he should have been convicted a crime. It takes several logical hops, skips, and jumps to get Manson into the land of criminality. And credit is due, I suppose, to the proecutor, whose name escapes me, but who is universally regarded as a brilliant litigator. Frwi,w I don't know that having the brightest litigators working as prosecutors is ideal, but that's a separate topic.

But I just think we've gotten to the point where the vast majority of people just associate Manson with serial killer because it's been repeated so many times and without any qualification. I really hope that QT shares my view on this as it's really never even been taken up at any level by journalists documentarians, filmakers or anybody in between .

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

The only movie that matters

[​IMG]

fl0at_ and Volgrad98 like this.
  11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

So fracking hilarious

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

16. NorrisAlan

SyFy made a great Dune mini series. Much better than the Dino De laurentis fiasco of the mid 80s

17. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I continue to watch the Lynch film more times than not when I happen upon it. With all the faults it still sucks me in.

18. NorrisAlan

Oiled up Sting, right?

Tenacious D and gcbvol like this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve just never been able to get into Dune

20. NorrisAlan

Even the book? The book is fan-flipping-tastic.