COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not "blaming," it is understanding how a business works relative to the need for expediency.

Let's say I am a government and I have a need. Which situation is going to result in a better outcome: I have a problem and I need to contract out a solution, or one in which I have a solution and I need to contract out an implementation? The answer is obvious if you've ever been a contractor or ever done some contracting. We need to expect more from government, rather than expecting private companies to magically have answers to things that have no profit stream.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like it when he's in the zone.

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So does it just sterilize the mask or does it make N95 masks work again?

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

the govt makes private companies pay them and red tape them to death so yes, I agree we should expect more from the govt as in get out of the way, let people do their jobs and stop requiring years and millions of dollars to the govt in what becomes pay to play. For example, other options to combat pain, vs opioids. There are many. But big pharma companies can pay the billions to the govt to bring a pill to market thru the fda, whereas other products and companies can't come up with the funding, so a product which could help millions is never approved.
    Fortunately at this time of crisis it appears the fda can magically speed up their process and allow private companies such as Abbott do their thing and get out of the way.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Very little. Mostly goat.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The example you gave of big pharma: big pharma isn't government. They're exerting their will on government, but they're private industry. Part of expecting more from government is keeping them from being corrupted by the industry they are to be partnering with. We both are looking at the same problem, but you see it as a government problem whereas I would describe that as an industry root problem. Getting rid of government isn't going to make big Pharma stop misbehaving.

Regulation can be nuanced. Everything can't be a priority all of the time, so not everything can always be rushed. Surely some things can and should be faster, but there are always details that matter.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good news is that the NY numbers may be bending, even though the raw numbers are so high. Bad news is that many states with relatively small numbers are showing very high growth.

Being on the other side of the worst of this by June seems possible, but it will be a hard couple of months.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

IP likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

upload_2020-3-30_11-22-14.png

Detroit : (

Attached Files:

12. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

So after watching this I'm really encouraged that Dr. Birx gets it.

The anchor being shocked that 100k-200k deaths is a good scenario means we've done a pretty terrible job of messaging so far.

Tenacious D likes this.
  13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Abbott’s recent acquisition of Alere is what paved the way for this to now be possible.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I even saw an epidemiologist on last night who called it an outrage that 100,000-200,000 deaths would be considered a good scenario. (Trump derangement at its finest)

I hate to be callous, but I mean if we could have done 100k-200k w/o shutting every thing down we should/would.

D-Day was deadly but was a huge win. 100k-200k would be a win.

15. Ssmiff

We have other underlying problems if other countries only show 5-20k deaths and we are headed for 200k with current measures. More numbers which dont make sense to me.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Nobody is done with this. At all. I don't think any western democracy is even close to half done with this.

We are 5-8 X bigger than the western european countires.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you own a small business and want one of the CARES Act loans, you better act NOW

justingroves likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Thought application was set for Wednesday.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

When this is over, we need to follow up with WHO about their relationship with China, the level of influence, and why in a matter of health and a pandemic Taiwan is being treated politically: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-taiwan-who-idUSKBN21H1AU

Remember, WHO was also slow to raise significant concern of a pandemic when this started, and very slow to label it a pandemic even when it met the literal definition of one. I'm not one to be quick to blame an organized CCP conspiracy when run of the mill incompetency and corruption will do... But if WHO is afraid to cross China, that is indeed corruption if it gets to the point of not doing WHO's function.

20. Ssmiff

I was looking thru all the new info for small businesses. I dont foresee me getting any help with my Scorp setup and 1099 reps, except for a low interest loan, but that doesnt help much