Cuonzo Keeping Up.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Oct 2, 2012.

1. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Ouch

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I read that as a father who wishes his son would go to Duke, but is resigned to him attending UT. The comments about Midnight Madness at Memphis later in that interview were far more stinging.

3. hatvol96

"I'm not the one making the decision" is the only really important thing his father said.

4. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I guess the irony is that the Memphis fans have been claiming for some time that it was the dad that was pushing Austin to UT while Austin preferred Memphis...lol

I guess Easterwood mentioned on Gary Parrish's show the other day that the family was somewhat alarmed with how Memphis fans had bashed the kid on message boards for the past 3 months since they thought Memphis was out of the mix, but did a 180 when it was said that he would attend Memphis Madness.

5. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I heard that. If Easterwood thinks there was any chance Nichols is going to Memphis, I think he probably would have been blabbing about it on the GP show.

6. hatvol96

I'm just reading the tea leaves through the lens of a whole lot of years watching and being around recruiting, but this looks like purely a UT or Duke decision to me. Just not seeing anything that indicates Memphis is well positioned.

7. hatvol96

My bet is that Coach Martin will tell Nichols and his father about how Glenn Robinson, Jajuan Johnson, and Kyle Weems were used in college. That should alleviate any concerns about how a player with both post and perimeter skills can function in his preferred style of play.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Parrish just said on his show that J3 is probably Mizzou or Michigan St... He and John Martin said Cuonzo let him walk for chance at Nichols.

9. hatvol96

The first part of that is surprising. The second part isn't.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I see that one SpartacusVol at VN is using this to chastise everyone into talking nice on the board as, somehow, the message boards make a difference to the recruits. The message? Step in line.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Martin says himself that he wants his post players to step out and hit jumpers. I don't know what Nichols' father is talking about. They grind it out on defense but have a lot of freedom on O

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

As I recall, as long as the shots they take are good looks or high percentage he doesn't care too much.

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

How it should be, build confidence. If you're going to be so demanding on D got to give a little freedom on O.

14. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

If a kid uses any message board to form a decision on which school to attend then that kid has questionable decision making and I would be concerned with said decision making on the basketball court. That goes for any kid at any school. Every fan base has its share of idiots.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Definitely. It used to shock or amaze people (me) when Cal would land a recruiting class comprised entirely of first round NBA talent. Now I just expect it, and hope they at least don't turn out quite as good as unibrow and Kidd-Gilchrist.

16. hatvol96

The only thing that is going to stop Cal from continuing that run is an unprecedented contract from Jay-Z and the big Russian after they realize Avery Johnson is a clown.

17. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Didn't got back and read the thread, but it sounds like the Auburn visit is off and we should be hearing something soon.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I remember taking some solace in thinking "well, they can't be as good as Wall/Cousins". The next class of guys weren't quite as dynamic as those 2 but laid a foundation that really made them that much better with the next class, which was pretty ridiculously good. it's just gonna be the way it is up there as long as he's there.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or the NCAA finally finds something on him

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This.