DE Carl Lawson

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by kptvol, Nov 22, 2012.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Seriously?

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'll wait until Bell signs the LOI. Would be nice

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Absolutely serious.

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He's been committed to them for how long? Also, CBJ had how much time to try and sway him from a school he'd committed to for many, many months. The fact that we were even in it after firing and hiring "another" coach not even 2 months is pretty impressive. You just want to be negative about everything to try and fit in. I want UT to win just as badly as everyone else here, but let's be a little reasonable here.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

This.

Lawson = Racist, IMO

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Honestly, I don't give a damn about how you or many others see my views on UT football right now.

7. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

You're just as bad as Robvols. You just go into every thread and complain/be negative. It's annoying.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Ignore me. That's your problem, not mine.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Actually, most of the cool kids here are fine with giving Jones a pass on recruiting this year. However, pulling Lawson would be some kind of sign that Jones is the superstar recruiter many of the sycophants are now celebrating him as. Most of us regard him as a mediocre hire and this simply reaffirms that analysis.

10. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Yeah, it reaffirms he's a mediocre hire because he didn't pull the #1 DE in 1 1/2 months of being on the job from a school the kid committed to last March. Yeah, that reaffirms it.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He's going to play for a coach that wouldn't give him a second look at his old job and had equal or less time to secure him.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hyperbole

13. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

So circumstances do matter?

14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

It's easier to keep a kid committed who is already committed than to sway a kid from a commitment to another school.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Completely new staff makes a difference.

16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Let him continue his schtick. He likes being negative to fit in with the "cool kids".

17. Unimane

If Jones were the superstar as he's purported to be on the recruiting trail, then he should be able to pull guys like Lawson, especially when he hired the guy who recruited him to Auburn.

18. Unimane

It means that North was coming here even though we had a ****ing moron as coach who wasn't even trying to recruit. Not a tough pull.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

This doesn't reaffirm a damn thing. Unless Jones is as incompetent as Dooley, there's not much he can do to reaffirm his mediocrity this recruiting season. All he can do is win or draw. (Not getting players that we didn't have a shot at a month ago is a draw). If he goes out and signs a couple four stars and a few three stars to fill out the class, that's what everybody expects from a coach who took over from a disaster and had six weeks to recruit--it's not a sign of being a mediocre hire. If he goes out and signs a bunch of top 100 players, that's a mark in his favor (especially if it goes beyond North and Bell. They both liked Tennessee already, and even Dooley flipped a guy who liked Tennessee and didn't like the previous staff). If he gets into the top 10, which seems unlikely to me, we can talk about superstar recruiter. But it'd take a disaster for Jones to reaffirm his mediocrity this early after inheriting what he inherited.

If he's the mediocre hire a lot of us expect, we'll see during the season and/or next recruiting class. But not this one.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

No, it doesn't.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013