POLITICS Democrats on Illegals / Children

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 20, 2018.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The law does not require criminal proceedings for misdemeanors illegal entry. The president can (and just wait - I think he will) influence enforcement.

I go back to the individual mandate. The president was instructing IRS to not enforce the mandate prior to the tax bill lockinggn that policy in.

That’s the double standard.

I do think that we need real reform here and I don’t fault your points regarding Congress and everyone’s unwillingness to act.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

These are misdemeanors, Tenny. All families need not be separated, though it may be proper in some instances. Detain them together, process and send away. Also, if you're going to institute a zero-tolerance policy like this it might make a wee bit of sense to make preparations in advance. We've intentionally chosen an extremely callous method to deter. Deterrence is fine as we have a legitimate issue at the border. Choosing an extremely inhumane option to do so is a problem.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  3. TennTradition

No doubt there’s truth here.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If you were caring for my child and committed a misdemeanor which required your detention - could you provide for the continuous care and safekeeping of my child, while in a holding cell?

This isn’t about the severity of the crime - but the ability for a legal guardian to do exactly as I explained in this post, above.

And if you say, these people shouldn’t be separated from their parent under any circumstances - fine, reunite them on a bus that takes them back to their country of origin. You know, how almost all countries treat illegal immigrants who enter theirs.

But you don’t want them to be returned.

And I don’t think that you’ve said that you simply want them released into the US.

So, if the avoidance of separation is the penultimate goal, then that only leaves detaining both the parent and child together as an option.

Are you advocating that the US detain children in holding areas with adults suspected of having committed a crime?

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why do you keep saying "holding cell" as if they are going to be kept in the cell from Barney Miller?

Yes, they can take care of them if they are in the same detention facility that the children are in.

6. TennTradition

The President today could order DHS to expand temporary housing and to streamline the asylum process while not requiring criminal proceedings in order to limit the impact.

7. Tenacious D

To be clear, and erase all ambiguity...

You’re advocating for the children of illegal immigrants to be detained in jail / holding cells / cages, throughout the duration of the time it takes to resolve their case / claim?

Is that correct?

8. gcbvol

Goodness, Tenny. Why the extremes? This goes back to my point about preparedness—legitimate family units and suspected dangerous criminals don't have to be detained together. Solutions need not be either or propositions. And, no, detainment does not have to equal jail cells.

9. Tenacious D

Expanded facilities - legal
    Streamlined process - legal
    Suspending due process - illegal
    Remove their “requirement” for a day in court - illegal
    Ignoring the illegality of their acts - illegal

You’re 2 for 5 insofar as what the Chief Executive is, should be or is likely permitted to do in this instance.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Or detention centers with rooms, beds, bathrooms, outdoor playing areas. It doesn't have to mean a cell or a cage. Dear lord.

11. Tenacious D

Because the policy of keeping children safe and cared for - even if temporarily separate from their parents who are alleged and believed to have criminally entered the US illegally - IS the best and most moderate option of those which are available.

The other two options - keep the kids with them, even if in a holding pen or jail, or simply turn them loose into the US - are even more extreme and far worse options.

You’re imaging that this idea of “keeping kids with detained parents” is an actual thing, or refusing to do so is somehow unique to immigrants who are suspected to have entered the US illegally - and they neither are true for anyone in this country, nor should they be.

12. Tenacious D

Ok, if you won’t relent to reason....

What about Americans in American prisons? Should their kids also go to live in jail, too? Should we also build “detention centers” complete with rooms, beds, outdoor playing areas for them, too?

What about prisoners on death row? Same?

What about pedophiles? Same?

What if the child really, really wants to go live with their parents in prison - what if they cry when they’re separated, and are distraught and sad? Is living in the prison in that child’s best interests? Should they be allowed to make that decision - again, carefully consider that they may be really upset if you tell them no.

Would you want your kids to live in prison, or to even be detained, with you?

What you’re basically describing is government housing, and where one parent is not only on house-arrest, but one-room arrest.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is very much not true. It is not illegal for an officer to give a warning to a speeding ticket, when the law states a fine is warranted.

The executive side of law enforcement has what is known as “discretion.”

14. Tenacious D

15. fl0at_

I have never been to jail for a speeding ticket.

16. Tenacious D

If you start arguing that Trump should suspend due process and simply ignore illegality, my faith in humanity will take a sizably painful hit.

17. Tenacious D

You could be.

Some are, and have been.

18. fl0at_

If you continue to argue that cops should only write tickets, and never give warnings, my faith will continue to wilt, as it has for many months.

19. fl0at_

Could be and must be are not equivalent.

You are arguing that they must be.

20. gcbvol

You actually still maintain significant faith in humanity? Mine has been all but obliterated.