POLITICS Democrats on Illegals / Children

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Jun 20, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why not hold the parents in the same detention centers where their kids are currently being kept? They would still be in 'jail'.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm trying to think of many misdemeanors where it's imperative to keep the alleged locked up no questions asked.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through when the end result is sending people back home anyway. But hey, what do I know?

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Lord, Tom Cotton! Do work.

The issue, perfectly summarized (but he shouldn’t allow Big Biz to get off free on this one...it isn’t just the Dems):

TangoUniform likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

If only there was a real estate mongol who was apt at making deals that could secure space for this to happen available.......

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

What happens when a detention center goes bankrupt?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Failure to appear.

You don't pay a speeding ticket, you get pulled over a year later, you get detained. I know of it happening to a guy. His wife had to come get his daughter, he spent 4 hours as the paperwork was ran, then paid his fines and left.

I know of one couple that was divorcing, the now ex wife set the basement curtains on fire trying to burn the house down. The husband put the fire out, cussed and screamed for 15 minutes until the police showed up. The officers detained both for a 12 hour "cooling off" period and sent their daughter off to the grandmother's house. No charges were filed.

Both were told they were "lucky" they had relatives to come get their children.

TangoUniform likes this.
  7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

He can choose to not enforce a zero tolerance policy that stresses a system not ready for it and leads to mass separations. 2300 children added to system in the last 6 weeks - of course there are problems.

8. Tenacious D

Well, I guess in absence of the ideal solutions, consisting of:

1. Not illegally crossing the border, or

2. Not illegally crossing the border with children in tow

That’d be a fine idea, NA.

And the United States Congress could quite quickly and easily convene their respective bodies to pass legislation and appropriate funds to exactly that end.

Or...President Trump could simply and unilaterally decide to overreach beyond his Constitutionally-determined boundaries of duty as the Chief Executive, by singularly deciding to not enforce the laws as passed by the Legislative Branch and which have survived the Judicial Branch’s legal scrutiny.

Of course, that it’s so many of the same factions who have spent the past 3 years assuring everyone that he’s a lawless and power-hungry fascist, who are now not only suggesting that he alone decides the law, but are actually criticizing him for failing to do so, is both particularly ironic and fantastic.

TangoUniform likes this.
  9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, if he wants to die on this hill, then that's up to him, but Trump started this problem and could fix it immediately by reversing his own "zero tolerance" changes from a couple of months ago. The fact that Trumpistas can't even criticize one single thing about him or his policies is pitiful and this thread is the least shocking thing ever.

And, Tom Cotton is a gigantic piece of shit, too.

10. CardinalVol

Agree - and 4 to 12 hours I'd consider short amounts of time. I'm referring to longer periods than that. Days and longer.

11. CardinalVol

Like he did on day 1 of taking the Presidency?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/us/politics/trump-executive-order-obamacare.html

12. NorrisAlan

And again, from what I understand this is not Law, but policy. He is well within his rights to do exactly what he has done. And he is well within his rights to roll it back. Nothing he has done so far has been illegal, and nothing he can be held on as far as the Law goes (meaning Trump).

It is a moral question that is solely in his court to fix, as there is no Law to repair, repeal or add an addendum to as far as I know.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know nothing about Tom Cotton other than he's in Arkansas, but it would seem the deal about child trafficking would be an issue if you do just let families pass.

14. NorrisAlan

And I, for one, am not just for releasing these people into the States. That is stupid, and if the law proposed by the Democrats says this, it is stupid and they should be held accountable for it.

15. CardinalVol

If I worshipped Trump, I'd not praise Cotton too much. He was already visiting Iowa before Election Day 2016. Gut feeling is he'll be ready to pounce first sign of things going south for Trump.

16. CardinalVol

I'm not for releasing them either.

Keep them together. Send them home, on their own. It's pretty simple in the short run. We can up border security and do this all at once. If you try more than once and are caught, then we figure out plan B.

Do we need a longer discussion about long-term immigration? You betcha, but, it's your new wedge issue, and neither party is any hurry to decide anything because it's a good rallying cry.

17. Tenacious D

I love everything about this - let’s dig into it.

1. What is the “Zero Tolerance Policy” based on, besides the law? Should we have some tolerance for lawlessness and criminal behavior?

2. If we sometimes don’t follow the law - and admittedly, perhaps there are very many and good reasons for doing so - then who decides when we don’t? Trump? Me? You? Straw vote at the diner? For how long do we ignore them? What do we then follow? And how do you then contain any possible end, or the ability for anyone else to do the same?

3. Who is responsible for causing the crisis at the southern border, and which necessitates DHS’ response, however in/adequate as it may be?

4. In our government, who is singularly responsible and possesses the necessary authority for the introduction and passage of laws to govern our response in situations such as these, and all others, and for appropriating the necessary funds to enact our collective will?

5. Why has Congress - BOTH PARTIES - not only completely failed to address and remedy these issues at any point in the last 50 years, but who similarly refuse to do so even now, and are instead insisting that Trump do what they themselves have thus far been utterly unwilling and incapable - and which the Constitution has empowered them to do.

Think about that - really give it some thought - you have members of Congress not only urging the President to override the Constitution, but at the direct and immediate expense of their own powers and duties, beneath it.

It’s extraordinary.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  18. Tenacious D

I am more than willing to robustly criticize President Trump’s inability or unwillingness to effectively carry out his Constitutional duties in enforcing the laws of this nation, and for any amount of time in which his Administration tolerated or failed to seek a remedy for any lawlessness.

He deserves sincere criticism that it took him this long to implement a zero-tolerance policy in enforcing our nation’s immigration laws.

19. Unimane

There's no law he's enforcing here with the child separation, there's just his policy. Let's make that crystal and perfectly clear, understandable and without any sort of bullshit, convoluted, nonsense characterization put forth as truth.

So, with all your gesticulating, long winded arguments and peans to the infallibility of law, can you answer this question regarding the policy (Again, not law) of; Is separating these children from their parents the right thing to do?

20. Unimane

Let's also note that this is happening to people who are seeking asylum, which is not illegal, and this policy is designed to deter more people from pursuing this wholly legal pathway by intimidating potential applicants with these action, as they specifically note.