Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Oct 3, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

The Church says it is a mortal sin. I think you are alright, though.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

God has spoken to me directly. Also, I've seen an angel.

Sorry to endanger my rationality here.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

IP turning a thread into a debate about whether or not religion is dumb isn't exactly unprecedented.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've totally stayed away from the Bible verse thread, and I had a lot of help in this particular thread. Incremental improvement. Process, if you will.

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

That would be incorrect. The Hebrew word for soul is nepshesh and the Greek equivalent of nepshesh is psuche. Although these words have multiple meanings, this is understood because the NT writers quoted from the OT this was the word they used to translate it. The same relationship exists between ruach (Hebrew for spirit) and pneuma (Greek for spirit) for the same reasons.

Jews do believe in souls. This is supported by their view of the Olam Ha-Ba (World to Come). They believe that their souls must be purified of its sins after death up to a maximum time of 12 months in Gehenna (hell).

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Foreign exchange TA's?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have never heard any of the above. Just asked my Jewish office mate about it and he laughed.

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

No worries, feel free to research it.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like I said, when translated, it was translated in a way that doesn't jive with the use of the words in those original languages AND texts.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

You are absolutely correct in that nephesh has those meanings but as I said, it has multiple meanings. The point I'm trying to make below is that you are partially correct. There are multiple meanings for that word but you are choosing to use only one of them. It does jive if you plug it into the verses (in context). The fact that the NT writers consistently used the Greek equivalent when quoting affirms that notion.

nephesh being used in a flesh/body context -

Psalm 7:1-2 "save me from all them that persecute me, and deliver me: Lest he tear my soul (nephesh) like a lion, rending it in pieces, while there is none to deliver"

nephesh being used in an emotional context -

2nd Kings 4:27 "Let her alone; for her soul (nephesh) is vexed within her: and the LORD hath hid it from me"

nephesh being used in a spiritual context -

Jeremiah 15:9 "She that hath borne seven languisheth: she hath given up the ghost (nephesh); her sun is gone down while it was yet day"

another spiritual context -

Psalm 49:14-15 "and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling. But God will redeem my soul (nephesh) from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me"

Here's a NT translation of the OT. Genesis 2:7 is quoted in 1 Corinthians 15:45 - "And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul (psuche); the last Adam was made a quickening spirit"

Mark 12:30 - "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul (psuche) and with all your mind and with all your strength."

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Actually, YOU are choosing to only use one of them... I stand by what I said. The word "soul" has been interjected into these texts, where it wasn't understood or intended that way originally.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

How so? I supplied you with the Hebrew word, the Greek word that was used to translate it, and multiple uses of the word in context. In turn, you offered me a wiki page with a partial definition and a suggestion for it to merged with "soul" at the top. It's your prerogative to believe the Greek translators were wrong but let's call a spade a spade and move on. You stated that
    and that is clearly debatable any way you want to slice it. Agree?

13. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

This thread is certainly interesting, and entertaining, but I like more ghost stories please.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes. The immutable word of god is clearly debatable.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Bought 2 liters of Don Q Gold in St. Maarten for $10/ liter.

16. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

This, if any of you like a good read, look up Bobby Mackey's music world in Northern Kentucky.