Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Oct 3, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cool straw man.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Are you guys going to [unt cay] up every thread with religious bullshit or what?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

It isn't a straw man. Apparently new things can be revealed. Joseph Smith was on to something.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Was Joseph Smith the one that said there were ghosts which contradicted specific passages from the Old Testament?

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Even here we have people suggest that one belief if the "true christianity." I agree with IP that these messages do seem to change more often than not. If the message is so easily misintripreted than why are some so quickly to declare that anyone who doesn't think X (gays are going to hell, abortion is murder, etc) clearly doesn't understand the bible.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Like the great philosopher Ted Logan pontificated: "All we are is dust in the wind,dude".

7. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This thread had been very instructive and educational.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he mentioned a dragon and then some civilizations of Native Americans, as well as a Native American Jesus. Also, the lost tribes of Israel were here. But as far as I know, he never talked about ghosts so he is legit.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Because religious texts are prison grapevines, with the last person writing down the message and teaching it to everyone else. At some point, things get inserted.

It is human nature. But none of this means anything. And I'm sorry, which messages are you agreeing change?

10. fl0at_

Are you lumping all religions into one pot again? Someone go find me a cryptozoologist, I need an opinion on earth science. They are all the same, right? Equally knowledgable?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The holy prison grapevine of God? I feel like that is a serious issue you are glossing over.

12. Gator H8R

Gator H8R Member

I have seen some unexplainable, but cant say I believe in ghosts. I bumped a thread over on TOOS that I posted this story in last year. Not long after my grandpa died, bout a year I guess, I had an unreal experience. I never, and I mean NEVER, sleep with my door open (cant stress this point enough). Even as a kid living at home with the parents, if I was in my room, my door was shut. I woke up in the middle of the night, to what I thought was a dream, to see my grandpa standing there in my door way with my door wide open. He began to speak to me and ask me how I was, and how our family was. I spoke to him like he was standing there in living flesh. I woke up, sat straight up in bed, my door was wide open, my tv was on, and I had a severe case of cold sweats going on. It was very creepy. Still to this day, nothing like that has happened to me since.

I was only about 12 when he died. I was a paul bearer and remained standing there (as directed) while his casket was lowered after his funeral.

The weirdest part about this, I was having a real hard time with it for awhile and that evening before I went to bed, I was talking with my mom (very upset) about not being able to say goodbye and tell him that I loved him before he passed. He showed up that very same night. Since that night, I have never felt the lack of closure with him that I had felt for so long after he died.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are quacks who call themselves scientists but don't practice the scientific method. Not sure how that compares to Christians versus Mormons versus Jews. Geologists and Biologists and Anthropologists don't have conflicting theories.

14. fl0at_

What, you think God cares that the message is perfect?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a good story and a cool experience, paranormal or not. Glad you found closure.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya. I would think he would care.

17. fl0at_

Yea we do. Even within fields we do. There are consensus opinions, but that is like saying since X religion is most possible, it is right. C'mon man, stop lying to yourself. There are loads of conflicting theory on everything from protein folding to the first second of existence.

You are lumping new religious theory as continuation of old, and putting them all together. They are not continuations, they are adaptations.

18. fl0at_

Why? Do you often explain yourself to your pet?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'll give you an example. WHen I was a kid the nuns would tell me that all non catholics and non believers were going to hell (being a protestant i didn't quite like that). 10 years later in HS the jesuits said that wasn't true and basically anyone would go to heaven as long as they didn't reject god when the met him (even IP wouldn't reject god in a situation like that). Those are two pretty stark differences. Now I know the catholics are screwed up, but we see a pretty divergent difference in beliefs among all christian groups (belief in evolution, belief that the bible is directly writen by god rather than writing through humans inspired, belief that the bible is historical fact, etc). If the bible and christian beliefs are simply as "this is what jesus said" than why all the differences?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

If I loved him unconditionally and he understood me, probably.