Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Gator H8R

Gator H8R Member

The closure was the cool part. Ive sometimes found myself hoping he will stop in for another visit but its never happens.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I've watched you and IP argue over the phrase: "you didn't build that," which occurred this year, in video.

Are you telling me an entire book, several actually, over several thousand years... Is going to be understood exactly the same, by everyone?

3. fl0at_

So you understand God? Wow, can you clarify some things for me?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which faith is it that sees us as God's pets?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not at all is that what is being argued. What is being argued is that because it won't be, any one interpretation can't be definitely the accurate one.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Of course not. That's why I don't understand the "true christian beliefs" folks.

7. fl0at_

Reality, not faith. The point stands. Why would an all powerful, all knowing, every present being feel the need to explain itself to us, which are, not knowing, not powerful and very much absent?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think if god existed he could certainly find a way to talk to me. I bet an awful lot of people would like to talk to their pets if they knew how.

9. fl0at_

No the **** it isn't. You basically poo poo'd the idea of souls as spirits, and/or ghosts, based solely on one interpretation BEING the only accurate one... the Jewish lack of the word soul.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

1. Lots of people claim God has found a way to communicate with them.

2. An awful lot of people are idiots and essentially all of us aren't very sharp compared to an omniscient being, and as a result I don't think our logic or thought processes are necessarily applicable.

11. fl0at_

If god wanted to talk to you, he would. That is the point. He doesn't. And thus, he doesn't give a damn if you, or anyone else, interpret "his book" correctly or not. If he cared, he'd make a point to make sure it was right.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I thought he loved me and wanted me to live my life a certain way, on threat of eternal suffering. Seems strange that he cares that much, but not enough to be sure I got the full and correct message.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Then why did he care enough to send his son to earth and write the book in the first place? Seems strange you would go through that effort and then not care that people were skewing your words. edit: ip beat me to it.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't say the Bible says there are no ghosts. Others did. I'm saying the concept of a "soul" didn't exist in Judaism or early Christianity. You're saying that isn't a problem, religion can have new revelations and new ideas added over time. I'm questioning how that can be if it is truly the word of God (some folks in some times get one word, and other folks in other times get a radically different word). You posit that this is not a dilemma at all.

15. fl0at_

Again, this would require that this is the actual, true message. And it also makes the assumption that he does care. Or cares enough to care which way you go, which seems highly unlikely.

16. fl0at_

One, this assumes he did. Two, the assumption that he did comes from a book, that first makes an assumption.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm not following you. If you don't think God sent jesus, doesn't that kind of make christianity bs?

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm not sure who I should be rooting for, but I'm enjoying this thread.

19. fl0at_

Because we don't have the capacity to understand. Consider it thusly, God has a max IQ, and you have a 70 IQ, and is teaching you nuclear reactor constriction, in Arabic. How long would it take you get it right? Probably a good while. That doesn't mean he didn't give you the right way, you just didn't understand it. But in the end, either it gets corrected or is given up.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ditto.