Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Oct 3, 2012.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Good god. No. It might very well mean it was understood incorrectly, though.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

What kind of all-powerful and loving being would bother creating a 70 IQ native English speaker to teach nuclear reactor constriction in Arabic to? Why would he set that being up to fail so miserably, and how could he give a damn enough to try and teach him after making the task so amazingly impossible? It's like tearing the wings off a bug then watching it try to fly. Your view of god is one that is either not very benevolent (perhaps even sinister), completely ambivalent, and/or not all-powerful.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it was misunderstood then Jesus' sacrifice was a failure. Which causes all sorts of theological problems.

4. fl0at_

No, my view is that he would be infinitely smarter than any human, and thus incapable of being understood.

But again, you are working on the assumption that God cares one way or another.

Which if this conversation has taught me anything, it is that he has it right.

5. fl0at_

How so?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he doesn't care, why would he try to communicate at all? Or create us in the first place? Him being infinitely smarter is fine and dandy, except that if he is infinitely smarter he should know the futility of trying to communicate with a character below a threshold of being able to understand, and instead create us with the baseline level of intelligence to make sense of his message. Again, you are saying that there is a god that doesn't care a whit that sent his son down to die to save us? Huh?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

If what you say is true, Christianity is a doomed faith worshipping an indifferent god for a reason lost in translation.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Or a) jesus never said he was god or god's son or b) jesus was a nutjob.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Sounds pretty depressing to me. Btw: if god exists what sounds more realistic. a) an all loving god who decided to step into humanity once and do miracles, but wont do anything now for some unknown reason or b) a guy who never gave a crap in the first place and still doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Horribly so. I'd rather there be a loving god or no god. Anything in between is bad news bears.

11. fl0at_

And what happened to son? Did he die? Oh, so he just went back up like nothing ever happened? Wow. What a sacrifice. Terrible. Terrible.

Of course this presumes this occurred. That a son was literal son. That something came from above. And that it wasn't just man, spreading a version of his vision.

12. fl0at_

Or that Christianity is a version that works for Christians. Whereas science is a version that works for you. Islam for Muslim. Judaism for Jews. All part and parcel of God, but tailored to the individual.

13. fl0at_

Those options must be all there is, after all, you understand God.

14. fl0at_

That would fall under the umbrella of "misunderstood."

15. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

This has been fascinating! Who would have thunk this thread would have ended up like this and who the main ones that would be arguing it?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pretty big misunderstanding to be spending one day of the week for the rest of your life on no?

17. fl0at_

Maybe, maybe not.

What exactly does it change, if not true? Are you a better person for it? Does it help in any way? Does it offer you anything in the future, that you believe?

What does it change, if not true?

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

means I missed a lot of football I didn't have to. Terrible.

19. fl0at_

You go to Sunday evening service? You deserve to miss football...

Wait, I thought you were Catholic. How are you missing football?

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't go to any of them. Forgive me i have sinned.