Dobbs was a solid practice player after all?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Low Country Vol, Nov 4, 2014.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Yes, I believe I will. Thanks

2. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

He owes it to the seniors who have been through hell and back to win every game with whom has the best chance of winning. That is what infuriates me that this staff may be holding back.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You're surely no idiot, but I disagree with the Dobbs assessment. That's ok too. I think Dobbs is much more accurate than Worley from the evidence this season.

Look at it this way. What type of passes did Worley throw? Hitches, screens and an occasional fade. They didn't trust Worley on any throws across the middle even though the middle has been there all year. If Worley was so much better, why limit him to 10 yds or less on at least 80% of his throws? Dobbs has thrown every route, and has been adequate throwing those routes. He's not a scalpel, but he's definitely not the sputtering chainsaw that is Justin Worley.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Of course, there is this underlying assumption that everyone knew Dobbs was better and deliberately benched him on this site, that honestly, doesn't connect with what anyone - players, media, and anyone else who had seen/been involved with practice regularly before the Bama game thinks.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm betting the way they run practice for the offense doesn't make the defense really account for a scrambling QB. Hence, Dobbs is forced to play out of his element and probably isn't very good. When the defense is practicing, and they have Dobbs in to simulate an opponent's offense, he is allowed more freedom to run around and he looks good. So, basically, practice is dumb.

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

That's the thing though Jay ... I wasn't trying to make a case for Worley still being the starter. I was just putting out some opinions on the new and improved UT starting QB. He is better than JW in every aspect of the game but can we not criticize him now? I was mainly talking about the touch he has on the ball ... he just hasn't had enough reps to find that touch he needs on the different routes. That's all I was saying. I'll move along.

7. CardinalVol

It's much like Tee was. 5 yards or 50 yards, you are getting the fastball.

8. JayVols

I can never accept not putting your best on the field to win every game. The lone exception being injury.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This is accurate.

10. JayVols

The flaw in this line of thinking is Nathan Peterman.

11. CardinalVol

When PLAYERS are saying they are kind of surprised he's playing so well, I don't know what else to say. And from what I gather, that has been said by more than one of them.

12. JayVols

You're fine. We're just talking here. It's ok to disagree amongst friends.

13. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

I think you're exactly right.

14. CardinalVol

What's the flaw in thinking? How is listening to people who see it regularly a flawed thinking? Because it goes against what I've concocted in my head to be true?

Dobbs looked horrible, horrible, in practice. Even going into the Bama game he looked horrible in practice. NO ONE expected him to play like he has the last two weeks.

15. JayVols

Peterman is a practice All-American apparently. Everyone knew he'd shit the bed in a game.

I don't buy it.

16. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

You forgot to add that Dobbs knows when to throw it away, and Worley doesn't even know you can do that...and for that, I'll give Dobbs the keys to the city.

17. CardinalVol

At the time, he'd screwed up in game once and showed tons of potential in practice. There aren't many, if any, coaches who are going to make final determination based on what they saw as a whole, especially when Dobbs never looked great in games and looked awful in practice.

Now that we've seen it twice, we can conclude Peterman is a practice AA and going to choke under lights, and that Dobbs is apparently an awful practice player who is just a gamer. I just don't know what else to say other than hindsight is 20/20.

18. JayVols

Screw up is way yonder too kind of a synopsis. Peterman was a partial-birth abortion. This isn't just hindsight.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Truth be told Dobbs looks like shit in practice. He's a gamer. Butch can say he doesn't believe in gamers, but anyone that has ever played, coached or watched can tell you gamers exist. On top of that, the style of practice that we employ for QBs does not give players like Dobbs to show his skill set.

Factor in that we have a coach who legitimately wanted to red shirt him and still get to a bowl with LeftHanded Worley, and Dobbs stood no chance.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Peterman didn't just screw up though, he completely shit himself. He couldn't hand the ball off or throw a pass.