Dobbs was a solid practice player after all?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Low Country Vol, Nov 4, 2014.

1. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Butch (when asked during the last two games about what Dobbs brings to the field): "He just brings another element..."

I believe my exact words when I heard that were "[uck fay] YOU!"

I don't buy for a minute that Dobbs was tanking in practice, at least not anymore than some of his throws that he tanks on the field--he's missed two WIDE OPEN WR's the last two weeks that were very likely TD's. I'll bend to the notion that the last few weeks have been instrumental in fast-tracking his progression but that could have just as easily happened over the course of the season, had he been named the starter.

Dobbs would have beaten Florida....and that will forever be a black eye for Butch for me. We should NEVER f*cking lose to a team TEN YEARS in a row. I would say I hope Muschamp will save his job and stick around for a while but hell, Butch has never beaten him.

That being said...I think the performance that we saw from Worley in the first few weeks of the season was reason enough for Butch & Co. to preserve Dobbs' redshirt. The coached knew what they had with Dobbs but, Worley was good enough for now and (so they thought) good enough to win.

Tenny, I think there's some truth in each of the examples you provided, with (possibly but far from a certainty) the only exception being the preference for Worley because of his Senior status. If this staff has shown anything, its that they're not shy to play underclassmen. I think we all know the reason but it's one that we'll never hear from the coaches....they chose short term pain for long term gain.

I wholeheartedly believe the coaches knew Dobbs was the most talented and, though he would make some rookie mistakes, he would very likely run the offense better than Worley. Instead of going with their best option for immediate success, they chose to go with the Senior QB who was performing admirably but was (not quite so?) clearly the #2 option. Would they have gone with Dobbs if Worley's performance wasn't as "stellar" as people reported?? Remember, Worley attended the Manning Passing Academy and, according to national media members, was the top performer there...allegedly. I don't know...

What I do know is unless you have a drop back QB with a cannon, who can make all the throws, correctly read the coverages, and then accurately deliver the ball to the receiver....you need a mobile QB for this offense. The "Read No-Option" play is the dumbest f*cking play ever conceieved and if I see it on the field again I might have a stroke. Dobbs runs this offense and actually makes it look successful--which is twice as damning for the coaches when you consider just how f*cking impotent it looked three weeks ago.

Whatever the case may be, we have upgraded the offense now that there's a QB that can run it--how much remains to be seen, as SC's defense isn't exactly an accurate barometer by which to judge any offensive success.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We hired a coach that had no big-time football experience. He, along with his players, are learning what it means to play in the NFL Minor Leagues. Hopefully the lessons are being learned, and judging by the change in his demeanor the last few weeks, I think the idea is starting to creep inside the crew-cut.

The only thing we can hope is that the same mistakes will not be played out again. As in leaving Coleman in to get torched for 280 yards when you have TKjr on the sidelines.

Ugh. Oh well, nothing I can do about it but watch and silently beg the coaches to be aware.

GBO

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

JMO, but at that point I think Jones knew Worley was not ruled out to come back in (by the trainers) and had been successful to a degree moving and scoring on UGA (despite Bajakians silliness in the middle of the game). Had Worley broke his throwing arm and Jones knew he had to have a QB finish the game and season the Bama situation plays out at UGA and Dobbs more than likely sees the field.

As I said before I think that is thought process behind it. I can't say that is the way I would do it necessarily.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

TKjr isn't a CB, though.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I thought he was a CB/Safety for some reason. Still, would he not have covered Cooper as well as Coleman, if not better? I just am sick of seeing players over the last decade have career years against us and then fade into oblivion.

6. Beechervol

That may clear it up some.

It was important to get to 6 (bowl game)
    They also felt it important to RS Dobbs (some of their own thinking couple with his parents idea)
    They felt Worley could get to 6
    Worley physically diminishes over the year to the point of not being available
    Petermans only shot at a W was Vandy

While not feeling like the proper choice was made between Worley and Dobbs (and an argument could be made for that) throwing Peterman out there to finish the last 5 games should have drawn a major "Boo!" from the crowd.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd be all about TKJr starting over McNeil. That guy is bad.

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I think Dobbs looked like shit in practice because they probably didn't let him use his legs. When he was running scout team and tearing shit up, I'm sure he had the ability to tuck and run. Anyone who comments on how bad he looked in fall camp probably only saw him in skeleton work and a fraction of some game simulation. Butch probably thought he could get to 6 with Worley is what it boils down to. Which is retarded.

9. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Probably not. He isn't slow, but he's not a cover guy either.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

His first drive, they were moving the ball right up until he forgot how to hand the ball off. Then it was self destruction afterward.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sometimes you have to throw both plan A and plan B out the window and go to plan C, whether you want to or not.

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Cooper has been their best weapon all year long.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Definitely

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

That's the thing; it had become pretty clear that there would be no 6-6/bowl with Worley playing every game. If a bowl was the ultimate goal for the season, which makes sense, they were going to have to make a move to reach it.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

McNeil has definitely went backwards this year. He started out looking decent but has gotten worse as the year went on.

Randolph is a really good safety and Sutton is a legit lockdown CB. Williams is a fairly good CB, not great but not bad. McNeil and Coleman are definitely the weak spots.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Probably not. He's 10 lbs from being a linebacker, which isn't a bad thing, but man coverage isn't ever going to be his strength

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This and he really struggles throwing it around in practice.

18. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

You know what maybe a couple of assistants know they could be on the chopping block if things don't play out right. Now the news is leaking a bit here and there that Dobbs was the best option all along. Everyone has ripped Bajakian all year but most have not been that quick to jump on Jones except for a few of us here. Now, objectively, if I were Bajakian I would have the news trickling out that Dobbs was the best option all along. It could help him save face and if nothing else get him a job if Jones got rid of him at the end of the season. Someone will be a fall guy and it won't be Butch Jones.

I know that I, along with at least 5 or 6 others on this board, have said since the summer/early fall that we should be playing Dobbs. It's not like all of a sudden we are just realizing this. The scheme that we run makes having a mobile QB a MUST, absolute MUST and if you don't believe that I believe you are a damn idiot. Worley was not the answer at all. For them to hold out Dobbs and trying to run this offense is nearly criminal. If they had to play Worley then they should have adjusted the scheme at least a little bit to offset the fact that everyone including the recently deceased knew he wasn't going to hold on to the ball and run in those read/no read looks.

This is a CYA time right now and they are doing all the damage control they can. Right now Butch looks dumb. But Bajakian is the one that could be on the chopping block if they don't at least make a bowl. I believe with Dobbs we can manage to beat UK and Vandy and get to 6-6. It's very convenient that right now it leaks out a bit that Dobbs was lighting up the defense in practice when the talking heads in K-town have said all year that Dobbs was off. They were being fed BS and bought it hook, line, and sinker.

I'm sure Jones could come up with a tremendous film study session that explains exactly why Worley was the guy though. Any good snake oil salesman tries to stay two steps ahead of the curve knowing that mistakes are going to be made along the way and they get very adequate in covering their tracks.

19. Beechervol

Yep.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I ride with Orangeblood79.