Dobbs was a solid practice player after all?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Low Country Vol, Nov 4, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jennings looks to be that guy coming in.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I get this point, but it doesn't change that Worley is also a poor passer with no chance of running this stupid offense. We actually exacerbated our problems because our idiots were hoping that our high end receiving corps could change our QB. That's full blown stupid. We made a conscious decision to have no running game, which makes our pass blocking and weak passer larger problems. I can't imagine deciding against having a running game as the base of my offense.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dobbs starts and beats UGA and UF, guess who's leading the east right now?

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If Dobbs' terrible practice performance is the gold standard for this, how do you reconcile that with Jancek's admission that he consistently ripped the defense a new one in practice?

It all doesn't line up.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Honestly?

We beat UF, not sure Richt doesn't decide to hand it off the Gurley earlier instead of saving him for 4th quarter if he has to.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dobbs did look like shit in practice while running Butch's offense.

He ran around all over while running the scout team O.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Peterman isn't in there fumbling handoffs and being even more statue-esue than Worley, what happens?

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was running the scout team offense, apparently.

When he was with the #1s, he wasn't very good. Now, when your QB is in a green jersey, he can't really show off his running ability, which is far and away the best thing Dobbs does.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't care what anyone thought, or when - except the coaches.

You know, the guys whom we pay millions of dollars to sort shit like this out?

That's the point.

You cannot care about the question, or its answer.

But it's a valid one. And any reasonable person would believe it a necessary one.

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

After the first 3 games of O-Line play he should have completely thrown that plan out the window instead of continuing to play a statue against a 0 Mississippi rush.

11. Tenacious D

This sounds like a legit way to use Dobbs.

Except we just won, so questions are disallowed.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep.

Yep.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Was he being asked to run the offense like it was being ran with Worley- not being allowed to run?

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

They don't allow QBs to be live. So he's definitely hamstrung by that

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If this is true why did Butch decide before the game started that Peterman would start the first 2 drives against Bama and then burn Dobbs redshirt? It's not like after the game started Butch said, "Shit Peterman bad. I've got to put Dobbs in." He made that decision the week before the game.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Im not gonna argue that Dobbs doesn't win against either. He probably would have, but Worley played well against UGA and that game got screwed up by an OC that forgot what was working from the 2nd quarter thru the 3rd quarter.
    UF should have been a shutout 2 score win regardless.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Everyone said Worley ran the offense the best.

I'm under the assumption the coaches didn't want him running the ball

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Peterman coming into the UGA game is what I'm talking about. Did he get a first down? Imagine if Tennessee doesn't give them the ball back on a fumbled hand off and 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Would jive with all the no read options we ran with Worley.

20. Tenacious D

I think that's right, too. But then, that raises a host of its own questions.

If we're only talking about the difference between "playing in Nashville or Birmingham"....then just plug Peterman in to finish the season. Then it's stupid to burn Dobbs' redshirt, at all.

Or, as some allege, getting to a bowl game was the more important goal for the season, then how long were we going to watch Worley fail - and get pummeled in the process - before switching to Dobbs?

And if Dobbs looked like hammered dog shit in practice, but turned Superman under the lights...then why wasn't he given a series or two to see that before Bama, and when Worley was injured? How about the drive at GA where Peterman subbed for Worley? Or, any one of 10 series where getting points on the board would have beaten Florida - and we coudn't even manage a single rushing yard? Or, how about any drive versus Utah St.? UTC?

You can not like the question all day - or the inevitable conclusion that anyone with a scintilla of common sense can see it heading - but it begs being asked.

Or, just plug your ears, stomp your feet and see how loudly you can yell "LALALALALALALA" until the mean ol' man stops asking the question.