Dobbs was a solid practice player after all?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Low Country Vol, Nov 4, 2014.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You're right, they had a plan and stuck with it.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What could have happened in that game had he not decided to spot Bama 13 points by starting Peterman?!?

3. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I agree with just about all of this, and it jives with what I mentioned earlier--the coaches plan, all along, was the preserve Dobbs' RS year, talent exceeding Worley's be damned. Dobbs represented the personification of the coach's long term goals--a QB who could lead this team to prosperity in 2-3 years. Now, by the looks of things, we'll be ushering in either Dormady or Jennings in 2016, with the likelihood being very real that it will be their first real action, during a year when Butch's plans should be coming to fruition.

It throws a wrench in Butch's "process" but, if either of the two QB's coming in live up to their evaluations, we'll be ok.

Sidenote: Ideally, preserving a future star's RS, especially a QB's, happens all the time at successful programs. As a matter of principle I agree with it but, in light of our circumstances, it's hard (of not impossible) for me to say that I would rather have had Worley this year....although, if Dobbs turns out to be a superstar, we'll all be wishing we had one more year.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he'll transfer. holding on to the guy who got beat out by someone else is always problematic. gone are the days that guys are willing to sit on the bench and wait their turn.

5. OrangeBlood79

I agree with what you're saying but, from a sheer numbers perspective, we need Peterman to stay. We can ill afford to continue to have Freshmen in our two-deep (much less our starting lineup), especially at QB.

The thing I don't understand though is, by all accounts, Peterman is a QB savant in practice but crumbles as soon as he steps foot on the field during a game...

[insert Allen Iverson response]

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are lots of programs with almost no viable backups at qb. look at byu, they are starting a walk on now. guys transfer like crazy these days.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

At this point Dobbs better be good or we are screwed, and if he goes down and Peterman is the option, we are REAL screwed.

8. OrangeBlood79

If I'm Butch and Peterman comes to me in the offseason and tells me he's thinking of transferring, I give him a hard pitch on how we'll give him every opportunity to earn the starting job next year but also make every effort to preserve his RS, should he not earn it. Selfishly, I'd rather him stay.

No doubt.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If Dobbs is a superstar, the other guys should get snaps in garbage time. The way we used to rotate players when we actually had depth.

So I'm still not sold that the redshirt was very necessary.

At this point, our OL class designation lines up with our QB designation, right? They'll all be on their final year together.

So if we recruit depth at the right positions, they'll look good at the right time, rather than having a mismatch where one position is senior to another, and neither look good.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I bet he gets his degree here.

11. OrangeBlood79

I think Tar Volon hit the proverbial nail on the head when he mentioned that the contingency plan was to have Peterman be the "garbage time" QB, and preserve Dobbs' RS, all along. When it became apparent that Worley was out for the foreseeable future, Dobbs got the nod because the staff simply does not want Peterman as their starting QB for any extended period of time.

In terms of the OL/QB corresponding with one another...you're right, but having your starting QB and starting OL in the same classes, while ideal, doesn't inversely relate to on-the-field success.

I'm no OL coach but, I seem to recall there being several reports, maybe even OV said it, that our starting Tackles are better suited as interior linemen than bookends. However, I have seen Hubbs, Fortenberry, et al state that the staff has more recently put greater emphasis on closing out with at least one or two more OT's.

Whatever the case, if Dobbs continues to develop as a passer and maintains (if not improves upon) his mobility, he'll make the OL look better.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm ok with this when the guy you're redshirting isn't head and shoulders better than the guy you're starting.

13. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Peterman redshirted in 2012

14. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

There is always Catawba College or Carson Newman.

15. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

Good post except for the fact that Dobbs will be a senior in 2016. I don't see him leaving unless he turns into some top 5 pick or something. He and his family value education too much for that to happen imo.

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Peterman was covering Amari Cooper?

17. kidbourbon

Dobbs will be a Senior in 2016

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I don't think they started to toy with the wildcat following Miss just for the one play we saw.

19. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

No, but he was directly responsible for giving them the ball back within a minute of the defensive turmoil.

20. kidbourbon

Okay

[video=youtube;bHJDRgVwcP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHJDRgVwcP8[/video]