Dobbs was a solid practice player after all?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Low Country Vol, Nov 4, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Maybe he should have guarded Cooper.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Okay, Indy.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Not sure what this means.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

My opinion:

There's no way to make this year's QB situation look like an acceptable course of action for Butch. Maybe there are varying degrees of excusability, but not acceptance.

• 2013 was year -1, 2014 is year 0 - doesn't merit a response
    • Worley can get us to a bowl - not with the way Butch and Bajakian set him up. Not that you'd even have to scrap the offense to suit his, uh, strengths. Just don't tailor it to his weaknesses, and maybe we're OK. But no, we weren't heading for a bowl with Worley at the helm, and even with Dobbs starting the last month it's quite marginal given how close we came to going 3-6 last Saturday.
    • We need to redshirt Dobbs because he's a great fit for the system - Dobbs's redshirt year gained is 2017. Dobbs may not be here in 2017. Butch may not be here in 2017. Who the hell cares about 2017? As has been said several times, if we don't have a solid QB in place for 2017, the fault doesn't lie with failing to redshirt Dobbs. It lies with poor recruiting/evaluation/development by the staff.
    • We need to redshirt Dobbs because his family requested it - Kind of an odd one. He's playing now, though, so I guess it wasn't much of an ultimatum?
    • Dobbs, in the context of this offense, was judged to be the true third option behind Worley and Peterman, giving us an inferior chance to win in comparison - Seems like a pretty colossal misread. Judging QB practice by how they did without significant pass rush (if that's what they did) seems like a bad approach given our offensive line's performance with Worley under center. That practice condition was never going to be replicated in a game, nor anything resembling it.
    • A combination of two or more of the above - Worley ends up as the starter for whatever reasons. Bottom line, you have to put him in a better position to succeed. The staff didn't, and I feel comfortable offering the Florida game at minimum as a casualty of that failure.

[youtube]07So_lJQyqw[/youtube]

5. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

There's a reason why I have two social science degrees...

[​IMG]

Class of '17, got it.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

As far a giving a look in practice goes, the "scout team" always has cards drawn up with the other teams plays on them. The scout team looks at what they are supposed to do on the card. Then runs the play. I wouldn't put much stock into what was said about Dobbs tearing it up in practice. The defense is seeing a few things each week in practice that they may not have seen in a live game.

7. Coastypop

Coastypop New Member

I have read most of this thread and one thing that has not been discussed. There is a rumor that I read on another board that Dobbs parents had asked Butch to red shirt him and coach had agreed to try.

It seems as the rumor goes that they believed he was being beaten up by the SEC grind during playing time his freshman year and his parents felt he needed time to mature.

CBJ tried to do this but had to burn the shirt because of how bad Peterman performed.

I do not know.. If it is true but does sound as it could be

8. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

From GVX today, same ole stuff ...
    -- Jones said that as effective as sophomore quarterback Joshua Dobbs has been in recent weeks, he wasn’t pleased with his consistency in Sunday’s practice.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Makes me wonder about the structure of practice, when Worley and Peterman dominate and Dobbs struggles.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If he wants Dobbs to throw it consistently, he's going to have a ton of disappointing days going forward.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, I think you are right on the money in terms of what this implies. But this team should be running more anyway. If it takes Dobbs being in there to wise up and use the future pro running back and avoid asking the line to pass block, so be it.

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

He's Braxton Miller

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he's a helluva lot better thinker than Miller.