Dobbs was a solid practice player after all?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Low Country Vol, Nov 4, 2014.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd bet 6-6 means no staff changes other than those who would choose to leave on their own. I've got nothing to back that up, but I'd still bet on it.

2. NorthGaVol

NorthGaVol Vols, Bitch

McNeil is who he is. Kid can flat lay the lumber but he's been our biggest liability in space for 3 years now. Putting him in during passing downs and then running zone is just asking to get him burned.

The reason TKjr isn't playing that much (from what I've heard) is he doesn't know all the keys and calls yet. He's not familiar enough yet with pre snap adjustments and often gets himself out of position. Make no mistake though, Kelly Jr is easily on the most athletic safety on this team and it isn't close. When he puts it all together, he will be all-SEC caliber imo.

I'm looking forward to seeing Rashaan Gaulden slide into Coleman's spot next year. Very good looking young player.

I'm not really too concerned with out DBs moving forward.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good luck finding someone to take that bet against you.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

read something similar about manziel. that he looked good in practice, but since there was no pass rush to speak of in practice they really didn't know what they got till he hit the field.

5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

This^^^^

I'd add, though, that not only would Peterman draw the boos, but you also couldn't count on him to get you to 6.

6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I wouldn't count on Peterman getting a single win.

7. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yes. I'd also add that a healthy Worley wasn't getting 6 wins either.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

6-6 means no chnages amongst the assistants will be forced on Butch.

That doesn't mean that he won't make changes, whether that's how it's officially announced or some just "get an opportunity" elsewhere.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

One can hope - no matter how unlikely it seems.

Question for anyone: Scholarships are year to year so is there a 0% chance of cutting Peterman to open a scholarship spot?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He won't get cut. He may get encouraged to look elsewhere. And he might not even need to be encouraged, if he ever wants to play. Dobbs is clearly light years beyond him. By many accounts, the incoming guys have a good chance of panning out into great options. Meanwhile, he's treading water.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Based on how well he's performed, I get questioning why he hasn't played before the Alabama game. At this point for me at least it's...

[​IMG]

He's playing and we're looking good for the last three games (four with a bowl).

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here's my larger point: I want there to be a larger and more well thought out plan, which benefits is the most, as a program, and which the guys whom we pay millions of dollars to figure this shit out, can offer.

And then stick to it.

Piss on what any fan - myself included - talking head, booster, admin, other players or anyone else thinks.

Know what you want to achieve, and see what you must achieve, have the vision to assemble your resources in the best manner as possible, plan as much as you can for contingencies, and then stick with it.

I'll forgive you if you're wrong. Even badly.

But I won't forgive the absence of some over-arching plan, and when you're just flying by the knee-jerk reactionary winds of public opinion, "gut feelings", happy thoughts or pixie dust.

And I'll no more give you "credit" for the times that those knee-jerk reactions happen to work out, than I'd congratulate a lottery winner on their brilliant retirement strategy.

And right now, this Dobbs thing - as wildly thankful for it as I am - looks like we either don't have a plan, lack the fortitude to stick by it, or were too incompetent to have formulated a viable plan, at all.

And that doesn't make Jones and such suck, nor does it mean that I'm any less happy (elated, really) with our chances with Dobbs. It just means that we've not yet got our shit together, coaching-wise, and should continue to hope that we do.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Gaulden is going to be really good, I believe. TKjr has looked really good in his limited snaps. Moseley is a rail, but he's definitely got the athleticism to play. I think the DBs are going to be pretty good moving forward too.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If he had not lost the UF game, I would be much more forgiving. However, losing that UF game may be what makes him realize "Oh shit, these fans want wins now"

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I would disagree here.

I think the plan was to redshirt Dobbs. Now you can argue that it was a shit plan, and I might not argue with you too hard. But I believe it was the plan.

The contingency plan, in case of a short-term injury to Worley, was to put Peterman in until Worley can get back in.

The contingency plan, in case of a long-term injury to Worley, was to burn Dobbs' redshirt, because while the redshirt is worth more than the gap between Dobbs and Worley, no way in hell is the redshirt worth more than the gap between Dobbs and Peterman.

You may disagree with whether or not this is wise, but I think it was the plan. The kneejerk reaction would've been putting Dobbs into the Ole Miss game when Worley went down (see: [ddiapos], 2011). But once we knew Worley was out long-term, there weren't many options left. They gave Peterman as many chances as he could to prove he could be adequate (see: first two series against Alabama), but if he couldn't put it together, they had to burn the redshirt.

And this is not me celebrating the coaches as geniuses or saying their plan is awesome. But I do think their plan was at least consistent.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Peterman leaves and Dobbs is the only scholarship QB this Spring. I doubt they encourage him to leave.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I agree. It actually really looks as if fan pressure is what got Peterman the starting nod last season against UF.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're right of course, but how is Peterman appreciably better than those non-scholarship guys?

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Hopefully by next fall, he'll have more talent for the scout team.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Evidently in practice, quite a bit. WRs need to catch footballs.