Dooley Already Lowering Expectations

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, May 11, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

A slight upgrade would get us to the booger eater level of coaches. We are no where near a mediocre coach right now.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It was a great hire. Look at the assistants he brought in. Frank Wilson, Eddie Gran, Lance Thompson, Ed Orgeron and Monte [uck fay]ing Kiffin. Those are some of the best recruiters and/or coaches in college football.

Tennessee can do that again if they are willing to spend. I agree that 3 years of Dooley sucking ass isn't going to change that.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I understand the hesitation OWH.

I don't see how a Super Bowl winning coach in the SEC couldn't land some recruits. I would think he could land a fair share of Florida kids.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

While I would gladly take him, I do slightly share your concerns on point A and B.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think, on name alone, he would be able to get a lot of talent here. I don't know how he would adjust to the 20 hour rule or how college players have to juggle academics on top of athletics.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's probably rougher on QBs than Spurrier is. It would take (this could be either a huge plus or minus depending on how you look at it since he can recruit who he wants) a special QB to work for him.

7. JayVols

If this happened, I would put you and NY up in the honeymoon suite complete with heart-shaped whirlpool tub at The Royal Inn in Pigeon Forge for a weekend.

8. JayVols

Are you a freakin' idiot or what?

Just kidding dude. I have found that the general rules seems to be that if one can articulate a plausible argument to support their position here, they may not be agreed with, but will garner at least an "agree to disagree" or even a "you have a point" response. If you simply pull stuff out of your ass (see the majority of toos) you will get smoked.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I see no reason why you couldn't pull chip kelly if you say paid him saban like money. he has nothing that keeps him in oregon. he's not a west coast guy. and by now he has to realize he can't recruit national championship caliber talent to oregon. remember he was almost out of the door to go to take the tampa bay job and i don't think he really thinks his scheme will work in the pros. if you don't take him, don't be surprised if texas or georgia or whoever does.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'd be concerned about Kelly's possible NCAA issues.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

My concerns about Gruden is:
    a) Could he adapt to the college game?
    b) Could he adapt to college players?
    c) Would he be a good evaluator of talent?

There are some risks, but there is a lot more to gain, in my opinion. I could see it not working out as well as we like. I could also see him winning multiple national championships.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I honestly want no part of Chip Kelly.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's an ncaa infraction waiting to happen. i don't get the impression he's smart enough to cheat and get away with it and i'm certain he has no problems with cheating.

15. tripper

tripper Member

I'll take the risk on Gruden. He is one of the best, if not the best QB coach around. He took Gannon and made him a prolific passer and coached Brad Johnson to a Super Bowl win. He's also a hell of a WRs coach.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I don't see how Gruden could possibly fail at Tennessee.

There's no way he struggles matching wits with Muschamp, Richt, Joker, or Franklin. And there's no way in hell he can't recruit. Kids would be falling all over themselves to play for the guy. If Dooley can sign top 15 classes at Tennessee, I have no doubt that Gruden can land top 5s.

17. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I would be ecstatic with any of the coaches listed. You all know that I am just a few more bad losses under Dooley away, from getting some kneepads and writing Gruden's initials on them. My only concern with Gruden would be ability to adapt to the college game. I think recruiting would be extremely easy with him, and x's and o's wise, it would be an outstanding hire. Some of you guys have already mentioned about having to juggle academics and the 20 hour rule which would be Gruden's 2 problems in my opinion, but from every other standpoint, it would be a great hire.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he gets some solid experienced assistants and support staff, academics and the 20 hour rule aren't a problem.

19. tripper

tripper Member

Hey Tenny or any one else, where is the info coming from that Hart is leaving after 5 years or so. Saw you posted something to that effect but I have a hard time believing that is the case.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I've heard it from several people, mostly independent of one another, that this was known when he was hired, and that he has privately discussed it on numerous occasions.

I hear that it's so widely believed that it's simply presumed that anything projected beyond 5 years will belong to someone else who will be sitting in his chair. He wanted a last go-round, and we needed someone to keep us out of 'AA trouble, to get the men's and women's departments merged, and to basically reestablish some credibility and stability to the office.

But, again, that's pure speculation from people who could just as easily be lying to me, as not. But, they've done an excellent job at colluding, if so.