Dooley Already Lowering Expectations

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, May 11, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gruden I'm sure still has a connection to some NFL guys that would be helpful and likely could get someone from the Dungy/Kiffin defensive tree. He's have the Super Bowl ring, the QB guru tag with a TV show that's been advertising it the last few years to help him recruit.

As has been mentioned, he worked well with Gannon, who i don't think had a rocket arm and turned him into a league MVP. I mean, the guy had been in the league thirteen years before he got his first Pro Bowl selection after his second season with Gruden. He also had a good run with Randall Cunningham, so he has some versatility with his offense. I think he could adapt to the college game.

All we'd really need is to find him some assistants that know the lay of the land as far as recruiting the southeast and we'd be golden.

2. NukemVol

NukemVol Member

Gruden, Peterson, and Patterson's name pop up during every vacancy it seems like. I wouldn't bet on any of them.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Patterson seems especially settled.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He is near retirement age and is going to set the table for his son to step in and take over his soon-to-be well oiled machine. At least that is the plan.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uh... what's his son like? Nepotism can be really bad.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Drug busts and Christian schools don't mix

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Neither do shorts, but these times they are achangin'.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

If Kelly were announced as our HC, I would probably get a boner. Even if he isn't you favorite, I'm certain all of us here would agree that he'd be a substantially not insubstantial improvement over the present fella.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If true, and I have nothing to make me doubt you DH, then Rick Hart's quote in an interview with the Chattanooga Times from July 2011 (at his 5-year mark as UTC AD) is particularly concerning, especially when compared to Dooley's (laughable) comments as quoted in the OP.

In that article he is asked:
    And his response....
    Stop me if you've heard this one before....

(Sorry forgot to include this, originally) Link: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/19/five-years-university-tennessee-chattanooga-athlet/

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. Tenacious D

With all due respect, KB, our current coach is no suitable standard, by any measure.

12. Tenacious D

Rick Hart has an impressive resume - and many tangible aspects that UTK might be keenly interested in (he lead season ticket sales at OU, he has raised the GPA in all sports, he has developed and strengthened relations between athletics and academics, etc. ), and he is clearly a rising star in the AD circles.

I'm not saying it will happen, but DH might have nailed it.

Link: Rick Hart - University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Official Athletics Site

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would not be opposed if Rick took over for his dad. He's done a very good job at UTC.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I would look at it as the football equivalent of Bruce Pearl, for better or worse.

15. tripper

tripper Member

Thanks Tenny and DH. Interesting stuff. Hopefully, he doesn't let his son make the splash hire and he goes ahead and pulls the trigger when necessary.