Dooley Already Lowering Expectations

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, May 11, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How great of a coach can we get? Not sure, but I bet we could aim higher than a guy with a losing record at La Tech.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Who are these coaches? Serious question.

3. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

No doubt, but just because someone isn't a WAC loser doesn't mean he can compete with Saban.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Few are going to be able to do that on a yearly basis. We are kind of boned there.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That didn't quite come out the way I meant it.

I'm just saying that even if we upgrade, we may still have a mediocre coach.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

We're looking for people that can beat a UK team without a QB 10 out of 10 times. That would be an improvement. We are looking for people that can beat UAB in regulation. That's a long list. We're looking for people that can inspire a coaching staff and team to win that last game for a bowl. That is a long list. We used to be worried about Saban back with Kiffin. We're a long way from that being the chief concern at this point.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I could make a list. But then the ultimate point here -- which is that being the HC at UT is still very much a sought-after position -- might get obfuscated if you happen to think that my list sucks.

But do this: think back to the Kiffin hire and forget about hindsight and burning couches. That was a strong hire. In other words, I think Kiffin could have picked his destination, and yet we were able to get him. Three years hasn't changed that.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If anything, Kiffin's ability to use Tennessee as a platform to establish himself as a quality college head coach (that was in doubt when he was hired, as you recall) even with a mediocre season may help Tennessee's chances of hiring a big-time young coach.

9. kidbourbon

I think that we can get one of the five best coaches reasonably available (in other words, with the understanding that we're not going to get a coach from another major college football program. We're not pulling Chip Kelly, for example).

So the question becomes, can one of the top five best (reasonably) available coaches compete with Saban? I don't know. Maybe not. Hell, Bobby Petrino is a fantastic coach and he couldn't compete with Saban, but let's keep in mind that Saban is the best coach in the country.

Surely we can get a coach of Petrino's caliber. We have more money than Arky. So why wouldn't we? These aren't unreasonable statements. I understand that we suck at football now, but our program is still a prestigious program.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Could be complicated a bit if Mack Brown and Texas part ways or if Florida is quick to give up on Muschamp. We were lucky during that hiring cycle with Kiffin in that we were unquestionably the top program hiring.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  11. kidbourbon

Only if we make a stupid decision and we get the guy we want and it just turns out that the guy we want sucks.

In other words, if we Muschamp ourselves.

I think we can get teh guy we want. So long as we don't Muschamp ourselves, he won't be a merely mediocre coach.

12. kidbourbon

Agreed.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm trying to think if there are any other big programs that seem to be nearing a change. Richt seems to perpetually get himself close to the edge. That's the only other one I can really see on the horizon for now. Maybe Kelly at ND in a couple of years.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Even all things considered of timing with Kiffin's departure, had Hamilton just let the new coach make his own decisions with no strings attached, I don't think [ddiapos] is your coach now.

15. kidbourbon

They might hire from within.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

What do you mean?

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Gruden. I still choose to believe.

18. kidbourbon

Interestingly, the current coach of Louisiana Tech actually appears to be a pretty good football coach. Funny how that worked out.

::gouging out eyes with fork::

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Dooley is coaching their games by phone.

20. kidbourbon

And running their athletic department by text.