Ebola Outbreak

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DownNDirty, Jul 29, 2014.

1. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

bad ribs. imo

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No such thing.

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I would also say that our treatments are keeping them alive longer which in turn increases the length and opportunities to expose others.

Ebola used to flare up then burn itself out relatively quickly due to the speed in which it killed. With the efforts to prolong life and fight the virus, we have, in a sense, removed one of the best weapons against it, its speed in which it kills. That sounds terrible, but it's true.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Ha!

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dude I went to HS with commented on one of my shared Ebola stories that I was "narrow minded" because I "don't really know since I don't work in a lab." It was in regards to how Ebola spreads. I asked him how he explains the R-naught value of Ebola, or that the rate of infected in W. Africa is only doubling every 21 days, how Duncan's family didn't get infected, etc. He then called me dishonorable and said I was twisting his words.

I ****ing hate people.

And I do work in a lab, not that it is relevant... I work in 2 labs.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The article was concerning the quarantining of the nurse coming back from Africa in New Jersey. Serious question to folks who support the mandatory quarantines: why are we not quarantining American health workers treating Ebola patients here? Shouldn't the folks in Atlanta, Nebraska, and now NYC be quarantined as well, if we are going to be quarantining healthy volunteers returning? Why aren't we quarantining the pilots and security personnel? Where do we draw the line, and on what basis?

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

This outbreak has made otherwise very intelligent people go full retard. Friend of mine was going crazy when the guy choked on his own vomit on that flight into New York a few weeks ago. Kept going on about how could the CDC possibly know the guy didn't have ebola when they checked the plane.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And you have lots of black friends too, right?

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Quarantine anyone who comes into contact with the someone who has Ebola.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, they got uncomfortable with how I was always trying to initiate fist bumps and how I called their other white friends "pigs."

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even if they were wearing PPE?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's been a drop in the number of Ebola bodies in Liberia the last few days. This could be an indication that the corner is being turned. Folks have become aware enough as to limit chances of infection.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That would be great. I can't imagine how badly that country has been ravaged by the virus

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

2nd nurse is now Ebola free. What is making our success rate so high? Early detection? Better care?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

plasma infusions from survivors as well as early treatment. Duncan was an incompatible blood type and had been feeling ill for several days before being admitted. As we have more American survivors as potential donors, we'll be in better and better shape. So long as we only get the occasional "spark" and not a wildfire.

A big part of the problem in W. Africa is the lack of infrastructure/wealth.

17. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

[video=youtube_share;IhnUgAaea4M]http://youtu.be/IhnUgAaea4M[/video]

18. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

State Department plans to bring foreign Ebola patients to U.S.

The State Department has quietly made plans to bring Ebola-infected doctors and medical aides to the U.S. for treatment, according to an internal department document that argued the only way to get other countries to send medical teams to West Africa is to promise that the U.S. will be the world’s medical backstop.

Some countries “are implicitly or explicitly waiting for medevac assurances” before they will agree to send their own medical teams to join U.S. and U.N. aid workers on the ground, the State Department argues in the undated four-page memo, which was reviewed by The Washington Times.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ns-to-bring-foreign-ebola-pati/#ixzz3HUtFD7hy
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm confused as to why that is necessary... What countries are we talking about here?

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why are we supposed to be the world's medical backstop? Everyone hates us.