Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WM, Aug 23, 2011.

1. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

Too many to choose from... I can not make up my mind. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

Just used them...

Destruction
    Novice Destruction
    Destruction Dual Casting

Two handed
    Barbarian 3/5

One Handed
    Armsman 2/5
    Dual Flurry 1/5

Sneak
    Stealth 2/5

Light Armor
    Agile Defender 1/5

Archery
    Overdraw 1/5

3. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

yeah I have yet to go deep into anyone tree... typically have all the dmg bonuses to 1h, 2h, archery.... half magic costs for destruction spells.. half magic costs for restoration.. (novice).. and the first few in sneak.. and the basic ones for heavy armor and light armor.

4. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

only crappy thing about having this on PC is a desktop PC isn't really easily transported like my xbox can be.. damnit. Sitting at home this weekend with nothing to do. I'd honestly rather play this than watch football (outside of the UT game).

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I'm tempted to give this a try - is the XBOX version worth getting?

6. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

yeah - not many people that actually own a desktop PC have the specs to run it.. most people posting on here are running it on the box.

7. WM

WM Active Member

All the "versions" are the same. Graphics on the PC are better but that's true with any game.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah, just didn't know how much of a difference that made in gameplay and whether that was a selling feature...also if the control on the XBOX is satisfying vs. the PC. I have a Mac, so it's XBOX for me if I try it. This would actually be my first stop on the RPG circuit...just haven't tried it before.

9. WM

WM Active Member

It can draw you in no doubt. Especially with such an open ended game where you have so many different options in what you want to do. As for gaming on computers, keyboard controllers and sitting in a computer chair playing a game isn't my cup of tea. Lots of people will only play games on PC's though, it's all about preference.

10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

yeah just depends... there are some aspects about using the keyboard/mouse over a controller I like better... like stuff like archery is easier imo. But it can also make some othe rthings more of a hassle too.

11. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

Going through all the shit at Winterhold.

12. WM

WM Active Member

Im at level 13. Might crank this game back up tonight after USC chokes their game away.

13. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

I got the "Honed Ancient Nord Sword" tonight, and you can [uck fay] some things up with it quickly!

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

My character has never held a corporeal weapon.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Soooo what's the main gist of the plot? Are there central protagonists or antagonists?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is a long and rich lore surrounding these games, that the more you know the more you appreciate the sort of events going on.

That being said, the basic plot is this: There used to be a continent-spanning Roman-like empire, ruled by a particular ethnicity of humans, who ruled other humans, a few types of elves, orcs, a race of cat people, and a race of lizard people. This empire ruled through the charisma and power of an emperor. There were a few different lines of emperors, but they all had in common that they were blessed by a god named Akatosh, and as long as one blessed by Akatosh was in power and kept a particular totem of sorts lit it would hold back basically "hell"-- which is called Oblivion. The previous ES game called Oblivion dealt with all that very directly.

Well, this game is set 200 years after the death of the last true emperor. The empire has fallen greatly in power. Two of the ellf races had united to reform an ancient kingdom that believed in the superiority of elves over man, and the impossibility of a man, and not an elf, ever achieving immortality. This is important for religious reasons, as the first emperor ever, Talos, has been deified by the human races. The new elven nation whooped up on the empire and eventually forced them into a treaty that forbade the worship of "false gods," essentially limiting the legal worship to Elvish gods of the common pantheon and Daedra-- which are like more ancient, and often darker god-like beings.

This is found to be unacceptable by many in Skyrim, the oldest area settled by humans on the continent, and a civil war has broken out between those who want independence from what they see as a weakened and dishonorable empire without a true ruler and those who are loyal to the empire.

On top of all that, over the last 1000 years (many of them part of previous ES games), several events have occurred that collectively all fulfill the prophecies that signal the apocalypse. A great evil dragon, Alduin, is set to awake from a thousands of years of slumber and devour the world. Lesser dragons, which hadn't been seen in thousands of years and were thought to be myths, have already awakened and are ravishing Skyrim almost unabated.

Your character, no matter what race or what skills you choose to advance, happens to be someone born as blessed by Akatosh, like the emperors of old. You have the ability to not only slay dragons, but to absorb their power.

It's an open world, so what you do from there is up to you. I only know the details of the early parts of the main quest, and they are basically a process of you realizing you are Dragonborn, and then learning how to use your innate powers.

17. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

as you can tell... IP masturbates to the lore and details of each quest line - I even learned something reading that and I've played Morrowind/Oblivion.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember everything useless in this world, actually.

What did you learn?

19. SmokeyVol.

SmokeyVol. New Member

I have become a hoarder. I have a ton of shit stored at Breezehome.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I start every Bethesda game telling myself I am not going to do that... and then I do. If it is a unique or magical item, I want to keep one.

In Fallout, it actually made sense because of the repair system. In Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim-- not so much.