Episode 7, with spoilers

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 18, 2015.

1. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

[video=youtube;JbpgM-JTang]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbpgM-JTang[/video]

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Never bothered me before!

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Laughed at Golem.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Finally saw it again. Took my little brother along. He claimed he loved it despite not being overly attentive when I showed him A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Probably had something to do with me forcing him to leave his phone in the car. Anyways, my thoughts on the the second time through:

- Poe definitely called the First Order "thugs." He sure does a good job hiding the fact that he's racist when he interacts with Fin.

- Kylo's ship looks like a giant V... As in, for vagina. I'm still not a fan of the whiny [itch bay].

- The interrogation scene still feels really rapey to me. I haven't seen much of anything about this, and it surprises me that no one discusses it.

- The attack planning scene wasn't as bad as the first time I saw it. They were in a big hurry, so they went with the first plan that came to mind. They were all gonna die if it didn't work regardless, so I'm fine with it.

- The silver trooper chick (Phasma?) was still so disappointing. They messed that character up bad.

- Rey reminds me so much of Obi Wan. His voice during the flashback, her using the force to make people do what she says, the climbing around the base, etc. I know she has hints of Solo and Luke in her, but wouldn't Leah or Solo bring it up at SOME point if they had a daughter? Because of that, I see no way she could fit as Solo's daughter, though I guess she could be Luke's. That said, I REALLY want her to be the granddaughter of Obi Wan, or something like that. I think that sets up an awesome story. Think about it. Luke trains the granddaughter of his master, who was the master and good friend of his father, to help him defeat his nephew, who has turned to the dark side. That would be a phenomenal story, and it would continue the 1v1 aspect of a Kenobi vs. a Skywalker that was started with Obi Wan and Anakin.

- The scene with Solo and Ren is so hard to read. The dialogue is weird and suggests that maybe Ren is "undercover" or whatever, but his actions afterward wouldn't make sense. I think he is gone to the dark side, but I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to the light either.

- There was no way Huxley could have found Ren before the planet blew. The timing of those scenes was awful.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's when the word "thug" is used to almost exclusively describe people of color that it gets it's reputation for racism. Further, calling Remnant thugs doesn't make a lot of sense. How can they be thugs when they are the dominant political power?

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I was more interested in talking about other, more important things, such as Rey as the granddaughter of Obi Wan.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Or what Rey looks like naked.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

google is your friend for that matter

9. JayVols

Interesting....

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

she did play a dead body, so it's not as exciting as one could hope. but you get the general idea.

11. JayVols

Saw it for the 3rd time tonight. I'm done. Have taken both daughters now.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Finally saw the movie today.

Thanks JJ and Lawrence for killing one of my favorite characters from my childhood. If I see one of them, I have to be sure to kick them in the nuts to get even with then for making tears well up in the movies.

Overall, it was good. The biggest plot hole was the handling of the Phasma character shutting off the shields. She might as well have been an imperial guard for all she was worth in that scene.

I thought the action sequences outside of the saber battles were some of the best in the franchise, and it was great to see a little more realism in the cinematography when compared to the prequels.

On Rey's seemingly rapid acquisition of force talents, has anyone given thought to the title of the movie itself? Last weekend, I installed surround sound in the house so my kids could finally see all of the original trilogy. Neither of them had seen all of the movies. We watched all six in order of the story over the weekend. In one of the prequels, a there is a conversation between Yoda and Samuel L Jackson's character concerning the weakening of the force. I don't recall the point coming up later in any of the movies. Is there some sort of change in the greater force that would allow a force sensitive person easier access with less training? This was my walking out of the theater theory anyway.

I liked the movie, but I would trade it and the prequels for having seen the Thrawn Trilogy produced as movies.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Ok, Warhammer. You are freaking me out. My brother just saw the movie yesterday and was [itch bay]ing about the killing off of Solo...

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Pretty sure ford told them he didn't want to be available for the other movies

15. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Solo should have died in Empire

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That was my wife and my thought on the way home. Pulling a Charlton Heston move a la Planet of the Apes sequel.

17. JayVols

Great new avy.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm a big fan

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent