ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lylsmorr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

This would be happening even if they hadn't gone full SJW. The effect is marginal.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Depends on the demographic. With an older crowd I doubt cord cutting is much of an issue. I could easily see them getting fed up with a supposed source of entertainment preaching at them.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, cord cutting is definitely hitting ESPN in the pockets, but the one section of the population that isn't cord cutting is getting fed up with being preached to.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

And that poses a problem, but a less severe problem than if they were to cut the chord.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don't think enough people are so frustrated by ESPN politics that they're dropping cable. How else are they going to watch Fox News.

This has nothing to do with politics.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I imagine some people are turned off by it but cord cutting is the main culprit. Cable is dying, thankfully.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It would show up in declining ratings.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

From more ways to watch live events. And bad programming. Those would be reasons 2 and 3.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

They aren't even good at SportsCenter anymore. SVP is about the only person i could stand before I cut the cord myself.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes, Russillo and Kanell (for eaxample) arent getting rating because they're left leaning. They aren't getting ratings because they suck.

11. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Dr. Jerry Punch, wtf?

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Jayson Stark too. Lots of folks who are really good. It's unfortunate.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

But this is actually a blessing. Dude is the LeBron James of pitting reporting. Hopefully Fox or NBCSN have already scooped him up.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know any way to quantify it, but there are people out there that don't like it. I've talked to them. Hard to make small talk about the NFL with older guys this past season. Nobody watched because those guys didn't want to stand for the Anthem.

15. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Looks like they're not even going to pretend to cover hockey anymore, I think they cleaned everyone out besides the mulleted Don Cherry impersonator

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, it isn't.

If saying the reason they aren't as entertaining is because of women, or that women are incapable of doing it as well, or that women should be barred from doing, then it's sexist.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

There were also a lot of shitty games. Thursday games in particular are/were bad. And ratings jumped up after the elsection, so there's blame there too.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I wonder much Fox Sports or CBS Sports will benefit from this.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Thursday night games are a travesty that needs to end.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Don't kid yourself. It's not the biggest factor, but they weren't in any position to lose people by harping on politics. it bit them in the ass. And some good folks lost their jobs because of idiots.