ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lylsmorr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

No doubt there are idiots involved. (And why aren't they losing their jobs too). But there's a direct correlation between declining cable subscribers and ESPN cutting bait with top talent.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm curious why cable cutting and going to subscription based things like Sling is hurting ESPN. Almost every digital package has ESPN. Ad revenue? They run ads.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yea that's the driving force behind it all. But again, you have folks like me who are still attached to the cord that have shut them off because of their damn social justice shit.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

In short, they get the most money per subscriber of any cable company. I can't tell you the exact number without looking it up, but it's significant. Decline in subscribers + ridiculous rights fees = loss of revenue

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So more the rights fees than anything else. THAT doesn't surprise me at all.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It's both. The money they generated from subscribers (and advertising of course) paid for the rights fees.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Seven something. Its way above the average.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I was thinking 8 or 9, but didn't want to throw something out.

Clay Travis is a huge ********, and has had a hard on about this story since it popped up, but he's not been wrong about it either.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Exactly. I think one of the reasons people are cord cutting ESPN is because of their shitty non live sports coverage and a major part of that is not wanting to hear a political agenda when watching what should be escape tv

10. RockyHill

So do you mean cutting cable or changing the channel?

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You can't cord cut just ESPN. It's cut all cable, or do nothing.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Or partial by getting a lower package that doesn't include ESPN.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Cord cutting

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Understood, but ESPN is one of the few things on cable that isn't easily replaceable by Hulu, Netflix, etc

15. RockyHill

I'd say the number of people who cut cable due to ESPN's increasingly obnoxious politics is pretty damn small.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I guess you didn't read my post. Cool. I'm suggesting their shitty non live sports content makes them less valuable to people and encourage cord cutting. I.e. Is it worth it for people to keep paying for ESPN all year just to make sure they see their team 6 times a year or whatever when there is nothing else on there they care about.

17. RockyHill

I certainly did. The point is that there likely isn't a huge number of people who cut the cord because of anything related to just one channel.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Disagree. Live sports content is all cable offers at this point that isn't easily replaceable by streaming services. ESPN is the primary provider of that.

19. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't a big factor, which it likely wasn't, then the last part of this post isn't true at all.

20. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

For now, but YouTube and Twitter are tapping in to that.