ESPN Layoffs

Discussion in 'Sports' started by lylsmorr, Apr 26, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

What I'm saying is that it isn't about the positions themselves, they could have gone full fox news on kneeling and people would still be turned off of protracted discussions of politics by sports anchors.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I agree with that, and they weren't really trying to move society. They were trying to make their content more than just sports and were missing the mark.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Completely agree. I don't go to ESPN when I'm in the mood for political arguments.

4. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

If it wasn't a main factor, then it didn't materially change the outcome and therefore didn't "make people lose their jobs" or "bite them in the ass." Money did.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I wonder how much of this stems from the fact that about 15 years ago, sports writers all of a sudden thought they were covering something that really mattered.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Exactly. I tune into news networks when I want that. Which is never.

7. NashVol11

I agree, but the overarching thing for me is that the content sucks. They could be completely politically neutral, and the shows they put on during the day would still be unwatchable.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Agreed, but a factor in the content sucking is their politics.

9. NashVol11

Sure it is. But if it's A factor among many in the content sucking, which itself is A factor among many in them losing money, then we've been exaggerating its importance, IMO.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is a good example of them being oblivious as to their situation. It is another symptom. Just like having a million pti/around the horn shows is a symptom.

11. NashVol11

Agreed, they are beyond oblivious. The SC6 marketing shows that, and now they are apparently considering a GMA-style morning talk show called "Greeny and Friends."

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What is a real shame is their World Cup coverage was absolutely top shelf.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You and I think it sucks, but 10 million people or whatever are going to tune in to watch the next episode of the Voice, despite being exactly like the 100 episodes prior to it and itself just a ripoff of the 1000 identical episodes of American Idol. People tune in to watch an awful lot of bad, repetitive TV.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I really gave up on it maybe ten years or so ago when the narrative became, "We hate Terrell Owens and how much of an attention seeker he is. Now stay tuned for 8 hours of Terrell Owens discussion."

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Don't bring facts into this.

VKA is about to have his world rocked.

16. NashVol11

I got what you were saying the first time, genius. The list of things that are "a factor, but not a main factor" is at least 100 items long. You're choosing the one you personally identify with and wildly overexaggerating its importance.

Once again, the guy claiming to be the smartest one in the room isn't saying anything intelligent

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

btw espn is still the most profitable unit in Disney. they aren't anywhere close to losing money. their profits are down significantly, but that's not the same thing,.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

btw how does rod Gilmore still have a job?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

ESPN rose to prominence by fulfilling the desire to be a sports junky. To feel like one is part of it all, all the time. No one tuned in for journalists or layman opinions, they tuned in to hear stories and information they weren't getting in traditional sports news formats.

Who here is game for another retired player's funny or memorable football story, baseball story, insight from an actual scout or coach, etc? Freaking all of us. Now who wants to talk about what jimmy hyams thinks about a UT player's recent tweet or the effect immigration policy will have on international recruiting? ****ing nobody. They're straying too far from their core too often.

You can cover anything that can credibly lead or end with "sports." And sports politics doesn't sound credible. It's just politics.

20. NashVol11

NYY, you going to follow me around rewriting all my posts for me? Reminds me of utvolpj, but hey, it's also cute to have groupies