Espn liberal agenda

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not sure how Hill is being racist by making an observation that someone else holds racist tendencies. That said, ESPN is well within their purview to fire her for such comments, if they feel it's warranted. I find the comments about Boston more objectionable than the ones about Trump.

That said, under no circumstances should a government official advocate for the firing of an individual for opinions they express, as Huckabee Sanders did. People bray about "first amendment rights" all the time with little merit in terms of what they advocate as actually being a first amendment violation, but this is pushing it. At the very least, it's extremely unethical.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

She's a public figure making public statements with the ESPN stuff featured prominently on her Twitter information. So, I don't think it's unreasonable for ESPN to tell her to behave herself in public. Her statements, ignoring them being nonsensical, are potentially offensive for 40 some million people that voted for Trump. I'd say that's a bad business move and worthy of some sort of punishment. That is, unless, they are going to be very firm with their protection of free speech, but obviously based on what's happened to other employees that isn't the case.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Take it as an endorsement of her speech by ESPN, then.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

The dialogue on all this is nonsensical. A businessman calls Obama racist and is then lauded by millions and elected president. A sports commentator calls that former businessman and those who lauded him racist, and those lauders and his administration say she should be fired, and some here call her a racist for saying the business man is racist... The businessman who called Obama a racist on similar merits...

The whole thing is illogical. I dont think the term racist is being used correctly. I certainly dont see how a trump voter or supporter can call for hill to be fired without being obliviously hypocritical. It's also pavlovian conditioning. Fire her! But he's just speaking his mind, its a free country!

Okay. I know, post truth era.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think the reason people say she should be fired is because of people like Schilling being fired, or if we want to go really old school, Limbaugh.

It's the double standard.

And I agree that Huckabee Jr. should have never mentioned it.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Im sure she'd be all for Trump being impeached. So, she goes out and makes blanket statements with almost no thought behind them and expects no reprisal. That's nonsensical. You don't admonish a guy by imitating him.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Wow...never looked at it that way.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

And neither do you admonish a person for imitating someone you praise or revere. That's all I'm saying. You can't claim to be taking the high road because someone is tailgating you on your shitty road.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think everyone who really thinks ESPN is applying a "double standard," or really, any standard, should boycott ESPN.

Let's see some take real action on their beliefs.

10. Calculon

Calculon Member

**** Clay Travis.

11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Agree. I'll make stands based on what I believe. I don't need ESPN validating the my stance. If ESPN wants to keep her, if she raises the bottom line, if she represents a wider majority of their viewership than me, then they make that call and have every right to do so and should. Their corporate decisions can follow a political party line, or not. It's their business.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't understand who "you" is in this scenario.

13. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Limbaugh called black basketball players "nappy-headed hoes." Schilling depicted transgender people as this:

[​IMG]

Hill essentially said Trump is racist. People keep acting like that's equivalent, but I don't see it.

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Limbaugh didn't call the Rutgers team nappy headed hoes, that was Don Imus.

15. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

My bad, got my racists mixed up

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

She said he was elected because of white supremacy and that he would not have been elected if he were not white. That implies a lot about people that voted for him.

17. CardinalVol

Think progress saying ESPN tried to pull her, couldn't find a black anchor to replace her, and let her go.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How hard is it to find a black anchor?

19. CardinalVol

None would do it.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Smith even refused to do the show.