Free School - Tax the 1%

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

29 grand isn't that big of a deal if you can pay it off over decades. Otherwise no one would have houses.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I think its outside my control so I'm gonna do the best I can and not waste my time complaining about it. This generation of college students is paying 3-4 times what their parents paid for college. That is a fact. Just because working hard means you can pay off your debt without it ruining your life doesn't mean you didn't screwed on the whole deal.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

welcome to inflation: http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=1&year1=1980&year2=2015

salaries are also up 3-4 times as well. are you going to [itch bay] about that too?

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Giving a person a car isn't necessarily benefiting society, but providing the means for the most qualified people to become doctors, scientists, engineers, etc. is.

And, maybe it's just the poor ass teacher in me, but you all are ****ing kidding me about flippantly saying that $29,000 is just the cost of a car, right?

5. RockyHill

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you can't afford $250 a month? especially before you had kids? most of the 22 year olds I know spend far more than that per month on their bar bill.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That's what I'm sitting here thinking. That's more than I make in a year.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Tuition/fees at UT are probably up 3-4x since I attended 1998-2002. I don't know the exact numbers but it's insane

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's the cost of private education that has gone crazy:

[​IMG]

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not when I was starting out with my $24,000 salaried jobs in my 20s, if I had any damn sense whatsoever.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well if you have a college degree then you are making well below average.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Government aid is why school has been sky rocketing anyways.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that should be very manageable for someone in their 20s.

14. RockyHill

http://trends.collegeboard.org/college-pricing/figures-tables/tuition-and-fees-and-room-and-board-over-time-1975-76-2015-16-selected-years

Public has too. This isn't even up for debate. It is absolutely not debatable that tuition costs 3-4 times as much for this generation as it did for their parents. And salaries haven't risen that much. (That's all inflation adjusted)

15. Tar Volon

I do. And thankfully, I don't have any school debt to pay off because my parents were able to afford it. But while most college graduates make more than I do, it's not like everybody does. Some people go into professions (like teaching, as uni mentioned) that don't pay a lot. 29k is a lot to those people.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Did the average salary of those professions drop by 100k in four years or something? If you are planning on spending near 30 grand on education to get a job in a field that pays significantly less than that per year, you messed up. More free money for you is just going to mean more stupid decisions.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

taxes are down salaries are up. my point is that negates a significant portion of the difference. my other point is it's manageable as long as you aren't an idiot.

18. Tar Volon

You know that not everyone is able to get the job they went to school for, right?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the average k-12 teacher makes $44K a year in this country. they can afford $29K in debt.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the overwhelming majority of degrees don't lend themselves to one particular profession.