Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Mar 14, 2012.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

A Taste of Westeros

Host The Hound and Tormund tour Westeros in search of the perfect inn.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes. Yes.

Yes.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

A knight of the seven kingdoms series.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yasssss

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This is my second choice.

I don't really want one focused on Robert's Rebellion, although I am sure that is on the block.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This whole season has felt rushed and increasingly ham-handed.

I'm cheering for Cersei and the White Walkers at this point.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're just a hater, tenny. You complained the show was too slow, now it's rushed. You keep watching though

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I will concede the following:

1. The change of pace, particularly with regard to the travel time, was a little jarring.
    2. The penultimate episode, which I think had the potential to be one of the all time greats, fell a bit flat due to execution and sloppy writing.

That being said, I feel like this show is held to higher standards than other prestige dramas, earlier seasons of the show, and even the book series. I think this was another outstanding season of GOT and of television. I hope the last season is the best.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

No, just the opposite, in fact.

As someone who lacks the necessary imagination to enjoy almost any sort of non-reality based genre of entertainment (i.e. fantasy, sci-fi, werewolves, vampires, etc.), I was genuinely surprised that I not only greatly liked GoT, but how quickly and fully it both captured and held my attention. I have, and countinue, to thoroughly enjoy it.

But what I most like about it is that it is just an excellent story, first and foremost. I've enjoyed the multi-lined plots, and appreciate the rather intricately (but delicately) woven paths - and possibilities - of each character in it. I like that it's unapologetically difficult to easily grasp (at least for me), and that it has (largely) eschewed the same sort of lazily formulaic written / screen devices that so many shows and movies seem to succumb to, eventually. I really enjoy that the story has time and again broken the most sacred rule of all entertainment - that you (the viewer and reader) don't always get what you want, the characters don't always get what they deserve (for well or ill) and that even if you do, it doesn't always arrive when and how you expected, or even wanted it to occur, after all. I enjoy that there was always a rich realm of hidden motives, of goals and desires, both pure and impure, right and wrong (depending on your perspective or in one moment, to the next) and as RR Martin explained (some interview I read) - few people ever wear a pure white or pitch black hat.

This season is largely antithetical to all of each of those things. That neither makes it completely terrible nor does it mean that I won't enjoy watching the conclusion. And worse, it's falling into the same traps that almost immediately swallow other shows, and which it had thus far and so deftly avoided for several years. It's still extraordinarily good, but it's simply not nearly as good as the rest of the show has been, or as I had come to expect from it.

I genuinely hope that it ends well, if only because I would think it a shame if the critical last bit were poorly done, and risked undoing all of the many things which it has done exceedingly - and exceptionally - well.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

can't believe we have to wait till 2019. To be able to meet or exceed show expectations week after week and year after year is pretty special.

11. chavisut

Tormund better be alive.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I have to agree with Tenny. This season was more immediately gratifying, but, in terms of writing and story development, the show became more conventional and predictable. I think it all began with the resurrection of Jon last season.

13. NorrisAlan

I thought Jon was resurrected two seasons ago. But been a while since I watched it. I don't think it starts with his resurrection, but with the fact that they out paced the books and didn't have the original author to draw on. Potato, potahto.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm curious about how many people have read the books. There is an enormous drop in quality from book 3 to books 4 and 5.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

I didn't really think so. Not enormous

16. NorrisAlan

I cannot bring myself to start a series that just ends without ending. And at this point in time, I doubt the guy is going to actually finish.

17. chavisut

I'm not sure I would call it an enormous drop. That said, the stories did start to go off in way to many directions.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Book three was incredible and full of compelling twists and turns. Book 4 and 5 made shockingly little progress in terms of plot development.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The books do drop off.

I think we've seen the top 3 best episodes already. Maybe top 5. I think we've easily seen the best seasons.

But that can happen when something has hit excellent moments and continued to produce.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

It wouldn't be the first time the journey was better than the end of something, either